Fogy water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fogy water?

My water has been a fogy green color for a few days . I tried changing water ,but that did not help . Do you know what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That's an algae blooom, commonly referred to as green water (GW), and a sign that something is not in balance in your tank. Here's list of questions that may give us some clues as to what the problem is:

How long has your tank been set up?
What kind and how much light do you have going into what size tank?
What are all the plants and livestock in the tank, is it lightly/moderately/heavily planted, and what size are all the critters?
What are your water parameters- ammonia, nitrIte and NitrAte to start with.
Are you fertilizing? What kind, how much, what's your dosing schedule?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank has beem set up for around five mounths.My tank is a twenty -nine gallon , lights are 17w,one plant for know,4 fish small,zero nitrite ,0.05 ammonia,fertilizer is flora gro.

planing to get new, stronger light ,more fish and plants, but never got to it yet,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

If you only have one plant, you shouldn't be needing any fertilizer just yet.

How often are you doing water changes, and how much are you changing at a time?

Is your ammonia really 0.05 or is it 0.5? I've never seen tests that will test as low as 0.05? If the correct reading is 0.5, then you have a serious ammonia/cycling issue.

Did you cycle this tank/understand what I mean when I refer to establishing a tank's nitrogen cycle?

If you hold something white (like a piece of plastic) just underneath the water, is the water green or just cloudy?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my ammonia is 0.25 sorry for the error
I add new water about erery two week to replace the water that evaporated
right under my lights the water is cloudy , every where else it's green
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Ok any time ammonia is over 0, you have a problem in a fishtank. Ammonia is toxic to fish.

Since fish are always peeing and pooping in a fish tank (producing ammonia and nitrIte), usually more than the plants can handle and definitely more than your one plant can handle, you need to be doing regular partial water changes (PWC), not just topping off the tank.

Let's start with this and see if it works; cut the time your light is on per day down and leave it on maybe 4 hours a day (if you don't have it on a timer, Christmas tree timers work great and are $5-10 bucks. You'll need your light on a timer not matter what if you plan to get more plants down the road...)

Also change 25% of your water every day for the next week.

Let's start with that, and see how it goes? It might just be that wastes have built up in your tank over time b/c you don't have this tank on a regular PWC schedule.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the help I'll try that

Last edited by Steve Z; 03-05-2008 at 10:28 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yep- just keep us posted?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

I did some 25%water changes , the green water would come and just make the good water green too .After a few days of the 25% changes that didn't help much I did a 75% water change that made the water couldy .Then I did a 33% change than atfer that the water began to clear up.

gook thing none of my fish died.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode