Treating Gill Flukes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Treating Gill Flukes?

I think I may have a mild outbreak of gill flukes as several of the fish are scratching on plants, driftwood, etc ... and I normally know how to rtreat this ...

The problem is that it is a heavy planted tank, with shrimp and snails ... so the med's I would normally use, if I did would kill off the shrimp and snails, and there is just no way of removing them all to prevent this ...

So does anyone now of a med or remedy that will cure gill flukes WITHOUT harming the shrimp, snails, and plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #272
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower

Praziquantel?

Jonathan...
Aquatica LTD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticaLTD View Post
Praziquantel?
I've seen this ... never used it, but can't find anywhere it's stated that it's OK for use with Snails and Shrimp ... or is this just "assumed" since they use it with Ponds?

Can anyone varify that it is okay from experience?

Eheim Pimp #272

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 praziquantel. It should take care of gill flukes and other external flatworms without affecting your fish. How it works to kill parasites is still not 100% known. But I don't think it has any major effect on the fish in terms of side effect.

Hikari PraziPro is the first one that comes to mind. It states that is it entirely safe for aquarium use. Snails and shrimp, I am not sure. I have considered using praziquantel recently. I personally wouldn't mind using prazipro on my fish along with snails/shrimp.

Hikari PraziPro:
"Ready to use, liquid concentrated Praziquantel treatment
Controls unwanted parasites in freshwater or marine aquariums
Treats flukes, tapeworms, flatworms and turbellarians
Can be used as a preventative
Safe and effective; will not negatively impact biological filtration
Non-toxic to commonly kept aquarium animals and plants
Ingredients: Oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and
<5% Praziquantel by weight."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

We use alot on pond fish as it wont take out the biofiltration like other meds can. Ive used it in tanks with Amanos, Cherries, and some scaleless fish without issues. The prazipro from Hikari is probably the best bet, it gets into the water easier that the dry prazi.

Jonathan...
Aquatica LTD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Your snails should be ok... Not sure about the shrimps...

API & seachem as prazi products if you can't find hikari.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great ... Had been looking at the Hikari PraziPro online at Mops, but didn't want to order it untill I could confirm it was okay ... in the past I didn't care about the snails, but now that I have MTS I do ...

Eheim Pimp #272
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCOOK View Post
Great ... Had been looking at the Hikari PraziPro online at Mops, but didn't want to order it untill I could confirm it was okay ... in the past I didn't care about the snails, but now that I have MTS I do ...
If you're worried, take out a couple and keep them in a water bucket until treatment is over. All it takes is one to a tank full of MTS in a few months!

Or just ask a LFS for one free one if they're nice.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

PraziPro will stain (so it says so on the bottle).

So has anyone had any ill effects on driftwood, silicone, UV quartz sleeve, rubber tubing?

I'm personally not crazy about the thought of purple driftwood.

Your signature has been removed for violation of forum policy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Algae Grower

Ive never had it stain anything, and I don't see that warning in the directions?

Jonathan...
Aquatica LTD
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I have no idea if that will kill MTS or not, but if it does, I would worry about all those MTS that die while underneath the gravel- they would pollute a tank in no time.

I'd try salt treatment first- much safer for the plants, fish and inverts. I'd use a low dose in the main tank and QT the fish that are showing symptoms and treat them with a higher dose.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Algae Grower

FWIW Ten years ago, I would have suggested salt as well. Used to be a .3% salt would cure a lot of things, but nowadays, its pretty useless. We have seen both skin and gill flukes, survive 14 days at .9% salt. Sadly most of the parasites out there are much more salt resistant than they used to be.

Jonathan...
Aquatica LTD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode