Quick question about dechlorinating - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quick question about dechlorinating

So I have a bottle of API tap water conditioner that says to add 1 ml per 5 gallons to detoxify chloramines. Now when I do lets say a 20% (~11 gallons) water change on my 55 gallon tank, do I add 2 ml of this stuff or do I add the amount corresponding to the size of my tank (11 ml)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you add the dechlor to the tank itself or to the water-change water before you add it to the tank? If it's the former, dose for the entire 55g tank volume. If it's for the later, then dose for the 11g change volume.

Dunno exactly why, but that's what Seachem says in the directions for Prime, and they're a respected company who puts out no-BS products.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, I am just siphoning out the water, then adding fresh water back in along with the water treatment. So it's not possible to "overdose" on the stuff? That is my main concern.

And as for Prime, I am just waiting to finish this bottle off so I can pick some up. Everybody seems to recommend it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can overdose on that stuff, but it's not easy. If you're dosing directly to the tank, for the total tank volume then you won't overdose. I think the risk is that the thiosulfate, a reducing agent, will destroy the oxygen and suffocate your fish.

Anyway, that's not going to happen unless you miscalculate and add 5-10x too much, from what I remember.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode