RO w/ PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
RO w/ PH

So i might try using RO to lower down my PH i have a 20 gal long and i was wondering how much RO do i need including tap water? Just adding this now will it affect my shrimps as it brings the PH down? do i have to add it lightly and gradually or can i add it as if i was doing a reg water change? What i meant about how much RO and tapwater was that i do 35-40% water changes do i need half RO and half tap to refill my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via MSN to crisrisl
How much RO you need would depend on how much you want to lower the pH, and what your tap water started at.

That being said, I would do it gradually, especially depending on what kind of shrimp you have. I keep my tiger shrimp in a 50/50 - 60/40 RO to tap mix, but I have very hard, high pH (8.2) water. I would think you would be ok to do a 50/50 mix of tap and RO on your next water change, if that is what you want to bring your pH down.

72g bowfront: 7 x angelfish, 3 x albino bushynose plecos, 2 x otos, 2 x botia striata, 1 x school rummynose, 1 x school cardinals, 1 x male betta named Patata
92g corner: 4 x peppered cories, 2 x lonely discus, 1 x school rummynoses, 1 x school cardinals.
Also..shrimp, discus, angelfish, and now a Tanganyikan cichlid tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

Wow..I've never ninja'd someone before.

72g bowfront: 7 x angelfish, 3 x albino bushynose plecos, 2 x otos, 2 x botia striata, 1 x school rummynose, 1 x school cardinals, 1 x male betta named Patata
92g corner: 4 x peppered cories, 2 x lonely discus, 1 x school rummynoses, 1 x school cardinals.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i only have cherries my PH is 7.4 and i would like to raise crystal blks and crystal red shrimps as many people have told me my PH is too high to maintain them and i need 6.8 - 7
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Planted Member

That sounds fine to me...you could probably do it over two water changes...each time adding in half RO/half tap. I wouldn't imagine it would take much to lower the tank that .5 of pH, just two water changes or so.

ETA: but gradual is always better than sudden pH changes, so small changes are good.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisrisl View Post
That sounds fine to me...you could probably do it over two water changes...each time adding in half RO/half tap. I wouldn't imagine it would take much to lower the tank that .5 of pH, just two water changes or so.

ETA: but gradual is always better than sudden pH changes, so small changes are good.
by smaller water changes i would do maybe 20%? half tap water half RO and wait a few days? or wait till next week to do another water change?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode