Does this look ok - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
rick4him

Does this look ok

So I have a 25 gallon tank (you can see the specs in my sig);

I am about to start the ferts today. This look look like a good routine?

Sun - 1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)
mon - 50% water change - 1/4 tsb K2SO4, 1/2 tsp GH booster
tue - 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04
wed - 1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)
thur - 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04
fri - 1/16 tsb trace (kent, tropica, etc)
sat - 1/4 tsb of KN03, 1/16 tsp KH2P04

I plan on doing this every week. I have 130 watts of light on this tank, on for 9 hours a day. Plus keeping my co2 up a good level. Do you think this is a good schedule? How do I know if I need to "tweek" something?

Thanks, the input of this group is highly valued!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
What do the plants look like? They are the ones that will tell you otherwise. Dosing looks fine to me. Looks very EI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
rick4him

Well I haven't started as of yet. I am going to start today. I am just now trying to wrap my mind around EI, and I don't think I really understand it. i just wanted to make sure my numbers didn't look really off base or anything before I started pouring things into my tank...

Any other advice, suggestions, anyone?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PO4 is a bit on the high side for my taste, but ok. Nothing to really get with EI. You are "estimating", thus the Estimative Index.

Just be diligent, do your water changes and watch the plants. Over time, you may be able to modify it a bit to fine tune what works and what doesn't

Good luck with it! Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM
rick4him

I guess I get confused when people say do 1/2 the EI, or 2x the Ei, etc.

How can you do 1/2, or 2x of something that you are estimating, you know?

If I"m doing something wrong what's the worse that will happen? Huge Alga outbreak?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL. Huge algae outbreak. Thats suspect to a debate so lets not do that...lol.

Well, the ratio stuff can really be used to start fine tuning, or if you have a tank of slow growers, it may not need as much ferts (such as a tank of anubias and java fern), where as a full stem plant tank with floaters and stuff could just soak up the nutrients like mad. This is a feel thing IMHO and if you start off right on the mark, with the suggested levels, you going to be go ok.

Listen, put light on a tank, the plants are going to grow. All your doing is providing CO2, and ferts to sustain good healthy growth. There is no strict rules to follow, only guidance. At the end of the day, its just you, the plants, a bunch of water and a bunch of "stuff".

Start off, give it a whirl for a while and do small measured experiments. See what does what... If your into stability, GOOD! Thats what you need. Small changes over periods of time. You may not see any change, you may see colors on the plants change...its all out there for you to play with really.

Enjoy and have fun!!

And last but not least... Don't be afraid of algae. Its out there, its going to get you at some point like it does everyone. Be patient, keep track of what you are doing and you can make changes to try and "moderate" it.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
rick4him

Hey thanks! Like I said I just wanted to make sure the amounts, the schedule, and things I'm putting into my tank look like a good start.

As far as co2 goes, how do I know if I'm putting to much or to little in? Do you basically just put co2 in until you see fish up at the top gasping for air?

My drop checker is in the yellow, but fish seem to be doing well. Barr Report says Co2 is the key, if you mess that up, you mess everything else up. How do I know if I'm getting this right

Also with what I'm doing - is it the same as using the ADA (pump squirts each day) liquid ferts? Is it going to be as good you think?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
Did you prepare the 4kh water properly.
If Co2 is the key, then the drop checker would be the key to determine the CO2 level in water.

To properly use the DC, you would need a correct 4kh water.

Otherwise, you never get your CO2 right.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
rick4him

Yelp - I bought the 4KH stuff. It is in a bottle and I use it. Is there a way that the water from my tank could be getting in to my drop checker?

You can see pictures of my drop checker on my sig.

It always stays in the yellow. I'm doing about 2 drop per second. Wouldn't I need to up this since my ferts and lights are going up?

They say with REAL high lights, and high ferts you need to have more co2?

Before I added my high lights I had my drop checker where it was staying right in the light green area. They say when you add high lights you need to up your co2. does this mean if I add high lights, but keep everything else the same my drop checker won't stay the same color as before I added the lights? Does adding high lights, and ferts, use the co2 up much faster or something?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
yes. you need to look at light, co2 and ferts as the raw materials your plants are needing to grow. you are adding those things to your tank in large quantities b/c you are trying to get maximum growth from your plants. the trick is finding the "sweet spot" and balancing the levels on each of these things to match the growth rate of your particular plants and help them outcompete algae... that's a matter of trial and error.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode