Contaminated gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Contaminated gravel

I put a top layer of brand name gravel over my existing sand substrate and discovered that there were crushed seashells in it.(simplified short story) This was done in a moderately planted 55gal tank. The ph is climbing above 8.0 and I don't know how high it will go. Dumping the tank is not a desirable solution because of the thriving plants and fish. Skimming the layer of gravel off is just as destructive. Using some sort of buffering is what appears to be my last resort. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. I already accept being the dumb a** that put the stuff in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Sorry to say, but adding something else isn't going to remove the carbonates in the new substrate. You'll just make an even bigger mess by adding acids to the tank, all the while making the environment even worse for the fish. Did you add Eco Complete for Cichlids?

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
^^^ Ditto- fighting that will end up being a losing battle and you will never be able to stabilize your parameters.

Sorry!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry man, you will need to remove the substrate, and probably all of it, and chalk it up as a lesson learned, a little research can save you a ton of headaches in the long run

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode