What's making the ph drop? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's making the ph drop?

So I go away for a week and have someone feed my fish while I'm gone. When I left, the water ph was right around 7. I come back and it's a 6.

Fish seem happy, and the only thing that's different is an algae bloom resulting from the brighter light I've added prepping for plant addition. Is the algae causing the ph drop or is it something I'm not thinking of.

Also, my tap water has a ph of over 7.5 - should I avoid any big water changes until the ph is back up in the 7 range? I was thinking I'd just do 10% every few days for the next week or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I would absolutely go with several small water changes, especially if someone else has been watching your tank for the last week. I'm assuming you measured Ammonia and nitrites, and everything is normal?

I would also consider the typical things that cause pH drop... driftwood, substrate, CO2. Either something is new, or perhaps you normally do water changes more often than once a week, which brings your tank water back up to neutral?

I've never heard of algae causing pH to drop. I have heard rumors of snail explosions causing pH to drop (due to buffering capacity of the water being sucked off to form snail shells). I really doubt it's the algae.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I would absolutely go with several small water changes, especially if someone else has been watching your tank for the last week. I'm assuming you measured Ammonia and nitrites, and everything is normal?

I would also consider the typical things that cause pH drop... driftwood, substrate, CO2. Either something is new, or perhaps you normally do water changes more often than once a week, which brings your tank water back up to neutral?

I've never heard of algae causing pH to drop. I have heard rumors of snail explosions causing pH to drop (due to buffering capacity of the water being sucked off to form snail shells). I really doubt it's the algae.
Yeah, it's weird. Ammonia and Nitrite at zero, nitrate under 10. The only thing that's different in the last two weeks is no water change since a week ago Tuesday, and a new lamp and algae bloom. But a full point ph drop with no effect on the fish? Doesn't make sense to me. The fish actually seem happier and more active.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Maybe you came in after the fact- the algae bloom was a response to something, maybe it already re-stablized the tank for you by the time you got home to check your water. Perhaps a fish died?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Maybe you came in after the fact- the algae bloom was a response to something, maybe it already re-stablized the tank for you by the time you got home to check your water. Perhaps a fish died?
No missing fish to speak of.

More interesting developments - I've done two 10% water changes over the last 5 days. My tap water clocks in at about 7.6ph. After the second change yesterday, the tank ph measured in at around 6.4 to 6.6. This morning - right back to 6.0.

So something's buffering it to the acid side of things. I wonder if it's the water treatments I use - API StressZyme and StressCoat, and sometimes Tetra Easy Balance. I think the Easy Balance has some buffering properties, so that's probably what's holding the ph - but I still wonder what knocked it down in the first place.

Anyway, I'm almost out of all of it, so I'm just going to switch to Prime and keep up with the small water changes until its more in the range I like.

The good news, my fish seem very happy. But I'm getting ready to reset the tank to add plants and I don't want to be pulling them out of 6.0 and throwing them back into 7.0, so I need to get the ph stabilized at a higher number.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I still suspect you've got to have something organic decaying in there to keep dropping the pH like that- what's your substrate?

Also, what about gH and kH?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode