My water parameters...assistance needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My water parameters...assistance needed

I have a 55 gallon setup which is almost 2 months old now
It is partially planted with driftwood, floutite substrate with some tahitian moon sand in area's. The plants seem to be growing well so far. There is a little green algae starting to grow on the drifwood.
Right now there are only 4 fish in the tank, 3 black mollies that eat and poo 24/7 and a black ghost knife fish.
I feed the fish the smallest sprinkle of flake food in the morning, and a half dozen small frozen bloodworms when I turn off the light for the ghost knife.
I have a redsea c02 injector and 130w of coralife 6700k lighting.
I dose daily ferts with Pfertz - nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and micros
The tank is set to 79 degrees F
The water Parameters are as follows, except for KH because I ran out.
PH 6.6
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Amonia 2ppm
Co2 4ppm
GH 9 degrees

Please post your suggestions on what needs to be changed here and how. Thank you for your input!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Your tank should have no ammonia at this point, unless it is re-cycling for some reason. Did any fish recently die? They can cause ammonia spikes. You can reduce the ammonia by doing water changes and adding some fast growing plants to use up the ammonia.

With that much light you will need good co2 and you will need to stick to the fert routine consistently. If your co2 is really at 4ppm, you will probably run into some serious algae problems. 30ppm is generally recommended

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

I bought a small albino bristlenose pleco recently, he died within 48hours. That is the only casualty.

My filter is an eheim classic canister rated for up to 65 gallons I believe. It hasn't been turned off since I first installed it.

I do water changes every week, at least 15% I did a 30-40% water change 24 hours before I ran those tests. I did the 30-40% change right after the pleco died.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I have had fast growing and stem plants in the tank for a month now.

Foxtail (Myriophyllum heterophyllum)
Ludwigia Repens (Broad Leaf)
Moneywort (Bacopa Monnieri)
Wisteria (Hygrophilia Difformis)
Egeria Najas
Rotala spec. Nanjenshan
Limnophila Aquatica
Common Waterweed (Elodea Nuttallii)
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
That filter may be large enough for 4 fish,but I doubt it.It certainly will not give you enough circulation for that large of a tank.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

It's an Ehiem classic 2213
Ratings say it does 440 Liters/hour and is rated for a 55gallon tank.....
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Algae is over rated

I think that most people will agree that those ratings are exaggerated,that is regarding the tank size.In addition,you need much-much more circulation,especially for a planted tank.I would have at least one more on the other end of the tank,preferably a 2217 classic.This may sound like a lot of filtration,but rest assured you will need it.Especially regarding the circulation.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Can we get a second opinion before I run out and buy a new filter.
If I do need a new filter I will get a Rena Filstar xP3
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Algae is over rated

As I indicated earlier,I would place a 2217 classic on the other end of your aquarium.This should give you adequate circulation and filtration.I have found that the Eheim classics are fundamentally perfect,and from a performance standpoint cannot be faulted.I believe that you will be happy with this setup.

Good luck!
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Algae is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassque View Post
Can we get a second opinion before I run out and buy a new filter.
If I do need a new filter I will get a Rena Filstar xP3
Of course,and from the number of positive posts,you should be happy with this filter too.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

The xp3 is a great filter and should work well for a tank that size. It's better to overfilter and to ensure enough flow for a planted tank

Mike

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I can simply just setup the new filter to run along with the old filter correct?
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sure. Many people, myself included run multiple filters on tanks. Redundancy is probably a good thing in this case. Extra filtration and extra flow is helpful

Mike

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I simply went to my LFS and ended up getting an Eheim ecco 2236
The filter is rated for up to a 80 gallon, and will be in addition to the 2213 I already have.
I tested the water before adding the filter and still had ammonia 3ppm now. And I've done religious water changes every week. I did one 2 days ago.
How long do you guys think it will take for this filter to start making an impact?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you really do have that much ammonia, it sounds like your tank is re-cycling. Have you seen an increase in nitrites yet? The new filter will provide more area for the beneficial bacteria to accumulate, which will help the tank cycle. You probably need to keep doing water changes (maybe even daily), as that much ammonia is harmful for fish.

I also just realized that you have a ghost knife in this tank. A 55g is likely too small for a fish that reaches that type of size. How big is it right now? When did you add these fish?

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode