Balancing oxygen and co2 levels in heavily stocked tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've got a 64 litre tank heavily stocked with 15 blackskirt/black neon/glowlight tetras and an Apisto. Filtration is provided by an internal power filter so the only method of getting oxygen into the tank is an air stone or surface disturbance. I have been using a ceramic diffuser to distribute one 2l diy co2 bottle and have a kh of 6 - my ph drops to 6.6 from 7.2 which gives me a co2 level of about 45ppm. I've noticed changes in behaviour of the fish, the apisto doesn't seem phased at all which is strange as I read larger fish show signs of co2 toxicity faster than smaller fish. My tetras on the other hand seem to get lethargic, or act strangely sporadicaly jerking and darting around, the black skirts seem to kind of bob in a 45 degree head up angle. Is this a sign of toxicity? I was concerned about low oxygen levels so I ran an airstone over night and by 10am it had completely gassed off the co2. i was hoping it would maybe lower it slightly. I have angled the output of the filter to ripple the surface as much as possible without breaking the surface. The fish aren't gasping at the surface or anything but I have definately noticed a change in behaviour. Being heavily stocked, is there a way of maximising oxygen without gassing off co2? Or is it a case of lowering the fish load / ditching the co2?

here is a pic of the tank - do you think this amount of plants should produce enough oxygen for the fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-02-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A ph decrease of 0.6 means the ppm of CO2 went up by a factor of about 4, so you probably have around 10-15 ppm of CO2. That will only harm the fish if your water is extremely low on dissolved oxygen, which I doubt it being. It takes a lot of attention to detail to both boost the dissolved oxygen and maintain the high dissolved CO2. One method would be using a wet/dry filter while also avoiding any splashing of the returning water, and even at least partially sealing the filter from the atmosphere.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply - could there be a case for the micro bubbles irritating the fish? I assume not given the amount of people using diffusers... Also I assume the whole point is healthy plants boosting the oxygen levels themselves. All I know for sure is my fish definately act different with the co2 :/

Also I made a mistake earlier - my normal ph is 7.4 - well it shows 7.4 on the high range test and 7.6 on the low range. I just checked again and ph is now 6.8 after about 9 hours of co2. I have real trouble telling the difference in the colours down to 6.4 on the API chart. Is an electronic ph checker worth it?

Maybe a classic case of over worrying - fish all seem fine today and I notice the 45 degree bobbing action of the black skirt tetras is mainly down to them "hovering" facing into the flow of water. So I guess unless the fish are at the surface gassing everything is ok?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-03-2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have overdosed my fish with CO2 too many times to admit. Every time I did it, the tetras, and similar fish all clustered in a top corner of the tank, usually a corner where I would expect the CO2 concentration to be the lowest. Other fish would lay on the substrate, at times laying sideways, and some would have badly faded colors. To me those are absolute indications of too much CO2, with too little oxygen in the water to compensate.

When I first started using CO2 I noticed a lot of stress in the fish at what I soon learned was barely over 3 ppm of CO2. Eventually I realized that the only stress was what I was feeling from fear of harming the fish. Once I started using a drop checker I found that I was able to stifle my fear and increase the bubble rate enough to get significant CO2 in the water. For me that was the primary reason I used a drop checker, something I recommend to anyone who has limited experience with CO2.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks going to order one now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode