Opinions on ferts i will need for 20Long high tech? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Opinions on ferts i will need for 20Long high tech?

Hey everyone,

so im in the process of getting everything ready for my 20 long build.

Substrate- ADA Aquasoil
Light- Finnex fugeray planted+ 30"
Pressurized Co2

this will be my first ever High Tech tank, and my first REAL planted tank, i have a 10 gallon up and running but nothing serious, only 5 or 6 plants.

now my question is, should i be thinking about ferts? and if so what should i get? should i get anything to sprinkle UNDER the ADA aquasoil substrate before i add it to the tank??

The guy i buy plants from has a sale on right now, not even sure if its a good deal or not as ive never looked into it before, but it SEEMS reasonable

http://www.theplantguy.org/Pound-O-F...ial_p_828.html

a pound of ferts for $17.00 free shipping. should i order some? i just need some advice if ill need any ferts or not... this is one of the areas i have ZERO knowledge on, ive spent all my time researching other things like lighting, and Co2 and substrates, i need to really start reading about ferts...

thanks for the tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
Hey everyone,

so im in the process of getting everything ready for my 20 long build.

Substrate- ADA Aquasoil
Light- Finnex fugeray planted+ 30"
Pressurized Co2

this will be my first ever High Tech tank, and my first REAL planted tank, i have a 10 gallon up and running but nothing serious, only 5 or 6 plants.

now my question is, should i be thinking about ferts? and if so what should i get? should i get anything to sprinkle UNDER the ADA aquasoil substrate before i add it to the tank??

The guy i buy plants from has a sale on right now, not even sure if its a good deal or not as ive never looked into it before, but it SEEMS reasonable

http://www.theplantguy.org/Pound-O-F...ial_p_828.html

a pound of ferts for $17.00 free shipping. should i order some? i just need some advice if ill need any ferts or not... this is one of the areas i have ZERO knowledge on, ive spent all my time researching other things like lighting, and Co2 and substrates, i need to really start reading about ferts...

thanks for the tips!

i'm by no means an expert on ferts, but i also have a 20L with pressurized co2, ecocomplete (topped with gravel), and a fluval plantlife 25w LED.

I don't know much about the planted+ but i know finnex has some high PAR ranges with their lights. high light+pressurized co2 = ferts IME.

I put root tabs in my substrate to satisfy the root feeders but i also dose the water column with macro/trace ferts on alternating days (trying to use up the liquid so i can switch to dry dosing).

i don't know much about pricing but $17.00 sounds reasonable depending upon what you're getting. If you go on GLA's website they have a dry fert EI dosing package for $15.00. You get trace elements, N, P, and K...basically everything you and your plants need.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Im not sure what shipping is up in Canada but $17 seems like a lot of money, people sell dry ferts here for $2.50 to ~$5 per pound of fertilizer plus shipping.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Im not sure what shipping is up in Canada but $17 seems like a lot of money, people sell dry ferts here for $2.50 to ~$5 per pound of fertilizer plus shipping.
$17 is a lot for fertilizers. However, such is shipping in Canada.

For example, I tried estimating the shipping cost from my address to an (a random) address in Edmonton.

1 pound of fertilizers, add an extra half pound for packaging and such.

The mailing cost is $13.73 (Canadian). This does not include the cost of fertilizers.

As such, it is usually more economical to just buy locally, if possible.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you guys have any insight on if I should add any ferts under my substrate before I add it? And if so what should I add?

also what ferts would you recommend I buy to sustain a healthy tank?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

With high light and pressurized CO2 I would start with:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B
Chelated Iron

If your GH is very low, then I would also use Seachem Equilibrium or other GH booster. Something with a ratio of about 4:1 Ca:Mg. Do not simply add Epsom salt.

I know K2SO4 is also suggested. If you are adding enough KNO3, then that will be enough potassium, too. But if you have so many fish (meaning you are adding that much fish food) that the NO3 is rising or holding stable then you might need the K2SO4 because you will not be dosing very much KNO3.
Fish food contains reasonable amounts of N, P and most traces. It is low in K, Fe and Ca.
Even when I was running low light tanks I was dosing K & Fe. Followed soon by the full estimative index method. Then I altered it because I still had high stocking levels, and the fish food was still almost enough N. I dosed a lot less (but not zero) KNO3. The GH in my tanks held stable meaning the plants and fish did not use that much Ca or Mg. I used GH booster for hard water tanks.

If you want to order in a mass that will total 500 grams, I would try something like this:
Moderate fish load, not much fish food being added to the tank:
200 gm KNO3
50 gm KH2PO4
100 gm K2SO4
100 gm CSM+B
50 gm Chelated Iron

High fish load that supplies a lot of N, P and most traces:
80 gm KNO3
20 gm KH2PO4
300 gm K2SO4
50 gm CSM+B
50 gm Chelated Iron

All of these keep quite well, so if you have ordered the wrong amounts of some things you can keep the excess dry and use it for many years. Just remember to alter the amounts you order next time!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yes, with that lighting and CO2 injection you'll need fertilizers. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about substrate additions with new aquasoil. As far as what fertilizers, I think Diana gave excellent advise.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode