Help!! PH High GH low? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help!! PH High GH low?

Hi there, just wondering if some one may be able to help.
I have set up a new aquarium but having real problems with the water Ph.
My water comes from a domestic well, it leaves the tap at a Ph of 6.6, the GH is 3 to 4. (I have not measured the KH). After settling for 24/48 hours the Ph rises to 7.8 (When resting in a clean bucket), and in the aquarium 8.0 / 8.2.

The ground around my house is very rocky with Granite.

I have read that this may be down to diluted / dissolved Co2 releasing from the well water when not under pressure. I was recommended to put some limestone type rocks in the tank to raise the GH/KH and provide some buffering capacity. But while the PH is stable at 8.0/8.2 it is still to high for most fish I would like to keep. The plants do not seem to mind though!!

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what I can do to get the Ph down safely?? Desperate to get the tank populated.

thanks

TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
You can dilute your tap water with RO water. There is no other legitimate way to do it.

You have to take into consideration that a pH drop by CO2 (adding an acid) isn't the same sort of drop that diluting the water with RO would be. Just as some will recommend using peat in the filter, which will drop the pH too, but neither CO2 or peat will alter the KH, which is the measure of buffering and the primary cause of a high pH.

pH isn't quite the important thing that so many fish store clerks and old books say it is, and quite frankly, you probably don't need to worry about it in this sort of situation. Your pH is just indicating that you have a good bit of carbonate buffering (which a KH test would confirm). If you're purchasing your fish locally, see if the store keeps them in similar water as your tap; they'll already be acclimated to the higher KH. There would no doubt be plenty of people saying they keep even the most sensitive acid loving fish in high pH water, it seems to happen every time someone asks about it. It's better to just not fight the water.

Your GH is acceptable, there really isn't any need to change it, but if you wanted to, products like Seachem Equilibrium are an easier more exact way than using crushed coral, etc.

Last edited by imeridian; 02-15-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: correcting a typographical error

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode