Does zebra rock raise ph and hardness? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does zebra rock raise ph and hardness?

I found some zebra rock at a LFS that look like the rock in this pic: http://www.northamericanpet.com/wp-c...rock-small.jpg

I dropped some muriatic acid on the rock. The black part of the rock doesn't fizzle. The white part seems to sizzle slightly after a few seconds (maybe 5-10 secs). My ph is already pretty high around 8.0 and my ph tester doesn't read higher than that. I use tap water. Should I use a different water source?

My tank is a 29 gallon and plan to get corys, neon tetras, and a few other fish. Is it safe to use in my tank? Anyone have experience with this rock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes it can mess with your tank parameters due to the calcite that composes the white ribbons. In the past I have used it with little to no problems as it is not redilly soluble. I have also used zebra rocks that has ribbons composed of white feldspar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
Yes it can mess with your tank parameters due to the calcite that composes the white ribbons. In the past I have used it with little to no problems as it is not redilly soluble. I have also used zebra rocks that has ribbons composed of white feldspar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So you think I wouldn't have trouble with it if i place about 10 lbs of this stuff in my tank?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the GH, KH and pH of your water is already pretty high the rock will not raise it any higher. The exact values probably vary with each type of rock, but I would think that with GH and KH in the teens or twenties and pH in the upper 7s or higher there would be no problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If the GH, KH and pH of your water is already pretty high the rock will not raise it any higher. The exact values probably vary with each type of rock, but I would think that with GH and KH in the teens or twenties and pH in the upper 7s or higher there would be no problem.
That is good to know, thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode