EI dosing and Fe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
EI dosing and Fe?

I know that were not supposed to dose macros on the same days as micros (not sure of the scientific reason exactly maybe something about binding or chelating I dont know).

Some of the plants I have require higer amounts of Iron so i have been dosing it every day.

Is it going to be innefective on one of the days I dose the other Macros or Micros?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
What plants do you have that need iron everyday? And what are you dosing as for brand of ferts? Some ferts contain trace amounts of iron.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Erio Thai sp. Seachem Iron.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It will never hurt doing this, but most plants have similar Fe needs, thye might take uop a lot more than they actually "need", eg Hydrilla has an optimal growth rate at 6ppm of Fe, but does well at 0.1ppm.
60X less.

You need to relate growth rate to Fe to determine if they really "Need" more or not, which has never been done for about 99% of the aquatic plants.

So folks eye ball things.

There is an obvious problem with anecdotal evidence and poor controls, or rather, a complete lack of controls.........

So take advice with a huge grain of salt and follow a basic flow chart for what causes growth=> light= > CO2=> N=>P=>K and so on down the line.

Then you cover your bases much much better and become a much better aquatic plant grower.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
It will never hurt doing this, but most plants have similar Fe needs, thye might take uop a lot more than they actually "need", eg Hydrilla has an optimal growth rate at 6ppm of Fe, but does well at 0.1ppm.
60X less.

You need to relate growth rate to Fe to determine if they really "Need" more or not, which has never been done for about 99% of the aquatic plants.

So folks eye ball things.

There is an obvious problem with anecdotal evidence and poor controls, or rather, a complete lack of controls.........

So take advice with a huge grain of salt and follow a basic flow chart for what causes growth=> light= > CO2=> N=>P=>K and so on down the line.

Then you cover your bases much much better and become a much better aquatic plant grower.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Regards,
Tom Barr

So if I dose Iron on days I dose Macros (N,P,K) I am in no danger of rendering the Iron useless???

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I dose iron daily and I have not had any issues.

The Junkie
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
I dose iron daily and I have not had any issues.
You were my inspiration!

I may be crazy but isnt the reason we dose macros and micros on opposing days because they interact with each other and render some of the substances useless??????

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
You can dose both micros and macros on the same day, it's fine. Just don't store them together in the same bottle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
You can dose both micros and macros on the same day, it's fine. Just don't store them together in the same bottle.
There it is I knew there was something about them being togeter either in the tank or stored together in a liquid form!!!

But see if ther in the tank together (dissolved as a liquid) is ther a hang over period??? At all????

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Mostly just at high concentrations over long time frames, bad idea(folks that use solutions of PO4 and Fe together-don't do that), but in the tank, not really an issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Mostly just at high concentrations over long time frames, bad idea(folks that use solutions of PO4 and Fe together-don't do that), but in the tank, not really an issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Fantastic!

/thread

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode