Is this rock Limestone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this rock Limestone?

Can anyone tell me if this fossilized rock is Limestone? I have hazy water I been fighting for a month, even water changes dont help.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fossil2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	5883  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Yea looks like scratch it does it seem chalky?. Do i see a chain in there?

One month in.

Last edited by frozenbarb; 02-09-2008 at 11:59 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

take it out put some vinager on it if it fizzes its lime stone

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
is that a chain or fossil?
If it's a chain then it probably concrete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sometimes vinegar is a little too weak to have a reaction. Scratching it is always a good way to tell. This is why you should check it out before you chuck it in
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
If I were you I would worry more about that metal looking object than the type of rock you're using.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it's a chain. I think it's some sort of fossil, here's another pic of it.. When you say scratching what should I be looking for? Chaulky powder looking dust?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fossil.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5884  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Pretty much. If you can scratch the surface, it means one of two things or both. 1) It can leech its properties into your water 2) It can easily absorb other nasties from its prior environment and can leech into your aquarium. It's not a sure fire way to tell if it's lime stone, but porous stones shouldn't be used in most tanks because of these effects. Sandstones look quite a lot like limestone and have the same effects. Sanstone is bound together if you will with calcite, so it'd have the similar effects on water chemistry in your tank.

The chain thingy in question looks more like a petrified Lifesaver than a chain. Looks a bit too round. Which rock have you added more recently, this one or the red, clay-based looking one?

Also, check your pH. If this rock (or any of them) are having an effect on your tank, you'll probably see a pH swing. That of course depends on the size of your tank and your rock

If this rock is giving you too much of a headache, I'd take it out, dry it off, and stick it on a shelf.

Btw, where did you get it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Question

All those rocks have pretty much been in there since the tank was setup in Late November. My pH has been steady @ 7.8 since the tank was stocked. Directly out of the tap the pH is 7.2 so I'm kinda suspecting perhaps the fossil, if it is limestone is leeching calcium which hardens my water even more than it already is. Not sure I remember where I got it. Perhaps a rock quarry,IDK. Also, what could that rusty looking brownish/red film be on the same rock? I've been getting this brown darkish film over my pool filter sand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TankFront.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	5885  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Is the reddish brown stuff on the rock shiny? My guess would be some sort of mineral deposit or simply a color variation of the stone, depending on what it was formed from.

Do you think the film on your sand is diatoms (brown algae)? Have you checked your ammonia/nitrites also? Cloudy water and diatoms could mean a mini cycle, but something would have brought that on.

Something else it could be, which would explain all the things going on in your tank, is that you do have limestone (>pH), it's phosphatic, bringing on the brown algae and cloudy water. If it's not diatoms, that throws that out of the water Have a phosphate test kit?

Last edited by aquaticmaniac; 02-10-2008 at 06:42 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

No phosphate kit, but I will get one. No spikes at all. Water params are No ammonia, no nitrItes, 15ppm NitrAtes. This tank is unplanted. I do 35-50% weekly water changes, my NitrAtes never build up passed 15 ppm. The reddish stuff is like algae in a way, but reddish brown not green. I ussually remove the rock and scrub the stuff off then it comes back slowly. I have hard water, and sunlight directly hits the tank in the morning for about 3 hours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode