How do I reduce High Phosphate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I reduce High Phosphate

I have just completed my blackout, getting rid of BGA, most of it has gone but phosphate reading in tank at 5.0.

Cannot do water change because phosphate reading in tap is also 5.0

Whats the best media to reduce phosphate ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
wow interesting. I have never heard of high phosphate being a problem. Are you under the assumption that the BGA was caused by the excess phosphate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
there are several types of filter media with phosphate reducers. I can't think of any off the top of my head though. I would just throw more plants in the mix and let them suck it up

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Are you certain you can trust your phosphate test?

5ppm on tap and in the tank sounds suspicious.

here in NYC it's 2ppm on the tap, and I can never
get my phosphate under 5ppm without some help.

Magnavore PURA PhosLock are tiny brown beads
you put into a small 250-300 micron media bag,
and leave in your filter for a few days. you can
reuse it a few times, but you can't recharge it.

I was able to bring my run away >20ppm
down around 5ppm in just over a weekend.

5ppm is actually a very healthy level.
so if your test is accurate, and you
are truly at 5ppm, then leave it be,
and look for other mitigating factors
to your algae problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Cheers, I want to start an EI regime because I thought it was my high Phosphate that caused BGA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/91%)
I thought low nitrate caused BGA... maybe its just me.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
It certainly can be related, as BGA has the ability to fix nitrogen, thus can survive and thrive without it. It's not too difficult to see that in a situation where one has a lack of Nitrogen, but otherwise is okay nutrient wise that BGA could take hold, since the plants wouldn't be growing well without Nitrogen and the BGA would see that as quite a nice opportunity.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
It certainly can be related, as BGA has the ability to fix nitrogen, thus can survive and thrive without it. It's not too difficult to see that in a situation where one has a lack of Nitrogen, but otherwise is okay nutrient wise that BGA could take hold, since the plants wouldn't be growing well without Nitrogen and the BGA would see that as quite a nice opportunity.
Sounds nice, but it ain't true.
Even if you bottom out the NO3, you are still not limiting BGA, not by a veryt very very long shot.

And.........this species that infest our tanks does not form heterocyst, which are used to fix N2, so that is wrong, they need to be limited, if you feed/have fish, have plants etc they are not even remotely limited in terms of N.

So that's 2 main issues this does not apply, however, plenty of folks like to say this myth.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Oh man, I stand corrected and thanks for correcting me. I've seen that repeated so often, so yes, plenty do say that; at least now I know better.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
"they need to be limited, if you feed/have fish, have plants etc they are not even remotely limited in terms of N."

Not sure what you mean Tom. BGA needs to be limited? By what? The rest of what you said indicates that if you have fish you will have an ample supply of N?

Would you say that excessive organics is a possible cause?

Mark
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Algae Grower

Ok... granted this convo took place 3 years ago BUT it took a turn TOTALLY left. LOL.

Ok.. so I just need to know HOW TO LOWER MY PHOSPHATE LEVEL! Any ideas? bEen using Seachem Phosguard. Had to go about 2 rounds with it I'm guess cause the levels were so high. Quick rundown, I have a 100 gal tank and green algae on the walls. Brown algae is EVERYWHERE (rocks and plants) and I want to get rid of it all. I have a UV sterilizer now and I dose macros and micros 3 x a week.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
Ok... granted this convo took place 3 years ago BUT it took a turn TOTALLY left. LOL.

Ok.. so I just need to know HOW TO LOWER MY PHOSPHATE LEVEL! Any ideas? bEen using Seachem Phosguard. Had to go about 2 rounds with it I'm guess cause the levels were so high. Quick rundown, I have a 100 gal tank and green algae on the walls. Brown algae is EVERYWHERE (rocks and plants) and I want to get rid of it all. I have a UV sterilizer now and I dose macros and micros 3 x a week.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
The general consensus among aquarist in the know is that phosphate is not a primary cause in algae outbreaks. In fact, if you really want to fubar your planted tank with algae reduce phosphate to zero. I know I did and it did not make algae go away-it only got worse because I did not address the cause (high light-not enough CO2)and I handicapped the plants with no phosphate.If you want to make it a level playing field for your plants against algae then you have to provide a constant un-limiting supply of carbon, nitrate,potassium,phosphate and trace AND a light source that will not overdrive the system depleting CO2 at any time (without killing your fish of course). Do a search here -you'll find many folks with more skill, experience and knowledge than me that will tell you the same thing.

Mark
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Seachem has a good product I have used a long time ago "Phosorb" or something like that but it worked very well in a mesh bag and canister filter. I think I got the problem with a DE filter if I remember, after that was over I never used any mainstream aquarium products in my tanks, what a nightmare.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I bought a phosphorus removing resin long ago and it did a good job removing the phosphorus. The algae remained. What I needed to do was provide the missing macronutrient so my plants could grow better. That time I guess it was nitrate. Check lighting, carbon, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and micros.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
The general consensus among aquarist in the know is that phosphate is not a primary cause in algae outbreaks. In fact, if you really want to fubar your planted tank with algae reduce phosphate to zero. ...........
I totally agree. I tried limiting nutrients when I first started too. BIG mistake. If I had raised the lights and got consistant Co2 I would have been in great shape. Instead, I fought algae and poor plant growth for way too long.
I would like to know what light is being used, distance from bulb to substrate, and how long it is on. What kind of Co2 set up? What is filter maintenance like?
I would guess the problem with the algae lies elsewhere.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode