Iron in tap water! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iron in tap water!

okay, so one morning I turn on the water and out flow this red-brownish water. The city hall told me that it was an iron problem from the water tower??? and that the water was safe enough to drink. The thing was, that water was really really red and you could see some kind of fine sinking iron? particle if you fill the glass up. So the question is, could I add this water to my planted tank as an iron supplement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM

That would be iron oxide, aka rust, and the city is correct that it's perfectly safe. It doesn't look very pretty, but it's definitely safe.

I don't think it would make a very good iron supplement though. The iron that we add to our tanks is reduced iron, and it's chelated to keep it in the reduced state, which is important for plant absorption.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
The iron that is added to the water column that is not taken up by plants ends up in the substrate as a precipitate. One form it becomes is the stuff you are seeing coming out of the tap, only it is in such a small concentration we don't see it.

Can you add it as an iron suppliment?

Personally if I wanted to use it I would mix it with clay and use it as an additive to a new tank's substrate, but I wouldn't add it to the water column. Swylie is correct, plants can't use it like that. It's not going to dissolve and become bioavailable in the water column, that will only happen in the substrate.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info you guys!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode