Question about nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Question about nitrates

Hi, I have just recently been doing a lot of research about dosing regimes on this website and have a question...for the sake of my fish, I do not want my nitrates to be above 5 ppm. I assume I am not the only one who has this concern, I have blue rams and some other sensitive fish and don't want to do anything to endanger them. Many threads say that 20-30 ppm nitrates is good for planted tanks (!). Everything I have read about blue rams says nitrates over 20 ppm is very bad for them. Sooo I guess my question is, can I maintain a nice looking planted tank with nitrates never above 5 ppm, does anyone else have this concern?

Tank is 46 gallon bowfront, flourish excel for now, hopefully pressurized soon. 1x 96 watt AH kit over tank, currently just dosing w/excel...XP3 filter

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
if you are dosing nitrates, the fish in your tank will become accustom to them after time. Not a big deal, when adding new fish you have to drip acclimate them over long periods of time.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was told nitrates from waste are different from nitrates from ferts in terms of fish health. Is this correct? See this thread and check out Rex's comment (disclaimer-I could be misinterpreting him):

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-bad-fish.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, thanks loachlady, that does make me feel better. I was starting to get pretty worried about my blue rams.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loachlady5 View Post
I was told nitrates from waste are different from nitrates from ferts in terms of fish health. Is this correct? See this thread and check out Rex's comment (disclaimer-I could be misinterpreting him):

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-bad-fish.html
Not so sure I would call them different. From Rex:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
The idea that low levels of nitrate 20 ppm and under are harmful for fish is because in a normal aquarium the ONLY way to get those levels is through the nitrate cycle. It's the ammonia, nitrite and other DOC that accompany the nitrate levels that actually harm the fish at those levels.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
My point is that the ammonia, DOC, etc. aren't part of the nitrate fertilizers we add. When I said "different", I meant that our ferts don't have these things.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
5 to 10ppm is ok for plants, although I found that I ran into nitrate deficiencies more often when I was keeping 5, 10ppm isn't going to hurt the fish. I consider anything under 20ppm to be safe, and anything over 20 to be unnecessarily high for plants. But what do I know, that's my experience. Who really knows how much nitrate it really takes to kill a fish anyway, usually when it's considered a culprit, it's in a tank that is severely neglected, so there could be many possible factors including an insufficient or overworked biofilter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Who really knows how much nitrate it really takes to kill a fish anyway, usually when it's considered a culprit, it's in a tank that is severely neglected, so there could be many possible factors including an insufficient or overworked biofilter.
That is a really good point. I think I will try to keep nitrates at 10 ppm, that should be fine for everyone involved, Thanks!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Don't get me wrong, there may be folks that know the answer to that, but you know what I'm saying. Lots of unknowns in a neglected tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:13 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
rams are fine up to about 30 ppm nitrates
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
My rams have done fine with a high nitrate load in my tank. Last time I tested (with a highly inaccurate quick dip test) my nitrates were over 80ppm. That was on Sunday right before I do my water change.

My nitrates are always a little on the high side and my rams don't seem to mind, they have spawned multiple times in these conditions. They are not as fragile as some might think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode