What is the difference between Seachem Prime vs Seachem Pond Prime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
What is the difference between Seachem Prime vs Seachem Pond Prime

I was wondering what is the difference between Seachem Prime water conditioner vs Seachem Pond Prime?

It looks like both products are the same. As they both remove chlorine and chloramine.

I want to buy in large quantity of seachem prime. The largest I have found for seachem prime water condition is 500ml. For me, that is not enough and will only last a couple weeks at most. But the seachem pond prime is sold at 2 liters which will last at least 2 months for me.

Anyone have any takes on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
They're the same, used the pond prime too.

Here's a link to get the larger sizes of Prime through bigal's:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...Type=0&offset=

At one time they even had the dry prime you could mix up yourself, but I don't see that anymore .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Bigalsonline.com and thatpetplace.com have 2L jugs of Prime available, Big Al's has 4L jugs too. I can tell you that a 2L jug of Pond Prime is listed to treat twice as much water as a 2L jug of 'regular' Prime, how that translates back to an aquarium isn't necessarily that Pond is 2X the concentration of active ingredient.

How much water are you treating that you use a liter of Prime each month?! Granted I just ordered a 2L jug this morning, but that'll last me for... oh, uhm, years, which in retrospect has me rethinking that purchase a little, haha. I just couldn't stand to pay $10 for 250ml bottles when for $30 I could get 2L.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post

How much water are you treating that you use a liter of Prime each month?! Granted I just ordered a 2L jug this morning, but that'll last me for... oh, uhm, years, which in retrospect has me rethinking that purchase a little, haha. I just couldn't stand to pay $10 for 250ml bottles when for $30 I could get 2L.
Well, I have to treat about 480 gal of water per week. So I need lots of prime as I think I have chloramine in my water. Before I just had chlorine where I can just aged the water to remove it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ahh, well, that'll do it, hehe. I'd definitely recommend buying the 4L jugs in that case, Big Al's has it 10% off for the next ~2 days, if you're immediately in the market for it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Bigalsonline.com and thatpetplace.com have 2L jugs of Prime available, Big Al's has 4L jugs too. I can tell you that a 2L jug of Pond Prime is listed to treat twice as much water as a 2L jug of 'regular' Prime, how that translates back to an aquarium isn't necessarily that Pond is 2X the concentration of active ingredient.
I just some more searching... i agreed with you that pond prime is more concentrated. So I think it will better fore my use.

Here is my calculation:

Prime water condition 4 Liters:
-1 ml per 10 gallon
-4L = 4000ml
- treat 40,000 gal

Pond Prime 4 Liters
- According to Pet Blvd.
4 L treat 84665 gal
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, actually, I'm saying that I don't know if that is actually true. I vaguely recall reading a Seachem rep say that it had a different rating because of its intended usage -- far fewer fish in a pond as compared to the average aquarium per volume of water. I can't be sure though, just don't remember enough of the details.

Edit:
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/PondPrime_faq.html

Yes, I did remember correctly, the basic idea anyway: Pond prime is exactly the same as regular prime, usage rate is only different because of application.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, actually, I'm saying that I don't know if that is actually true. I vaguely recall reading a Seachem rep say that it had a different rating because of its intended usage -- far fewer fish in a pond as compared to the average aquarium per volume of water. I can't be sure though, just don't remember enough of the details.

Edit:

Yes, I did remember correctly, the basic idea anyway: Pond prime is exactly the same as regular prime, usage rate is only different because of application.
Ah... Very helpful article. Thanks for clearing up...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:

Edit:

Yep, just what I said, they're the same . (couldn't remember where I saw the article though, thanks indiboi ).

There was a time that the Pond Prime was cheaper than the aquarium bottled prime. Boy did I jump on that!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I read the faq as I didn't think it could be related to the # of fish- prime is treating the water.

They say the dosage is smaller for a pond as the surface area is larger allowing for more outgassing of chlorine. I don't know how accurate the assumption is with tank turnover, etc, but it makes one question the financial motive of their dosing since they are suggesting half the rate is OK for a pond

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, it's not number of fish, but relates to the surface area, I just couldn't remember what it was... I thought I made that clear :p In any case, yes, tpl*co did say they were the same, but there was the question of why dosage and treatment rates varied so much and that really needed to be addressed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
How do you test for chloramine or chlorine concentrations in tap?

My 29 gallon planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are test kits you can purchase, or you can ask your water supplier for a test report.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode