Keep or lower? 7.2 Ph, Dwarf Rams and Shrimp. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Keep or lower? 7.2 Ph, Dwarf Rams and Shrimp.

My 20g long setup is a little over 3 months old now and I've been doing twice monthly PWC keeping water at 0,0,5-10.

The first two months my water ph has gone from a steady 6.6-6.8 with Tetras and Cories to the last month at 7.2 after I added rams and amanos.

Ever since I added in 7 amanos and 2 dwarf rams, I'm worried about the high ph. They are doing fine, look and behave like rams. (They were raised in 6.8 ph) The shrimps have all moulted and are out and about like they should be.

This slightly alkaline water has me confused. Since I see no ill effects.

Tank Stats:
Fluval 206
Driftwood
Fluval Shrimp/plant Stratum (this lowers ph supposedly, been in tank for three months)

Question is should I try and lower the ph by putting peat granules in my Fluval 206? (Currently has sponges, floss and biomax)

How much Sera Super peat should I add to a media bag? Anyone with some expertise?

2020 Basement Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40g Goldfish Soon, 29g Soon, 15g Soon, 15 Flex Soon
Retired Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I don't see how adding some fish could have raised the pH.
In any case, I would leave your pH alone.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I don't see how adding some fish could have raised the pH.
In any case, I would leave your pH alone.

v3
I agree. Water in the tank over time,,should result in lower pH than the tap unless...some rock's,shell's,substrate that contain's mineral's like lime,calcium, aragonite,have been added.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Perhaps the shrimp stratum no longer reduces ph after a certain time period?

Or, Also during the last month I added in some Amazon Swords, perhaps I just stirred up the substrate too much.

2020 Basement Gallery:
Retired Tanks:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well ,let us say that your tank now sit's at 7.2 pH.
If your tapwater is higher, or near same,then this would be less dramatic change than previously = good news for fish.
If you were to lower the pH ,then tapwater with higher pH at water changes would be more dramatic,possibly stressful.(due to sudden increase in GH).
Fishes will adapt to the pH you have so long as it is stable,consistent, and this is far more important than chasing some magic number.
PH is but a number that fish don't feel.It is the sudden change in hardness that affect's the fish more so than the pH.
pH is usually, associated with mineral content,buffering capabilities,but most folk's don't test GH,KH, and instead look to pH which as mentioned isn't really as important as the hardness (GH) or KH (buffering capability).
My two cent's.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are keeping fish from a black water river, then add peat. Otherwise I would not bother. pH in the low to mid 7s is usually just fine for soft water fish.

Of the list in your signature I know guppies are hard water fish, they do not need the organic acids that are found in a black water stream.

Not sure about the others. Many Tetras and other SA fish do come from black water streams, but not all. I think Rams do better with black water, but not sure.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would refrain from altering pH as well. If you're livestock is acting fine, they will be fine. Once you start altering things, you need to keep up with it, or there won't be any stability in the tank.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The fish and shrimp are doing fine and all are accounted for. So I won't mess with the ph.

Thank you all for the info.

2020 Basement Gallery:
Retired Tanks:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode