Ferts and Light/Dark - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts and Light/Dark

Do plants use fertilizers when the lights are off, or only when the lights are on, like with CO2?

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would think that nutrient uptake happens at all times of the day, as it is not dependent on light (though I am not a plant biologist by education, so take it with a grain of salt).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm. I would've guessed the opposite, but I'm no biologist either. I might actually drag out my old Bio 101 textbook and see if I can find an explanation in there.

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most of us have the lights off at night, but many of us see significant growth in the morning compared to when the lights go off. I don't understand how the plants do that, but they certainly do it, or do a great job of pretending to. Like most of you my botanical/biology education was very lacking, and I wish I had taken a few courses in it.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, plants are constantly growing and incorporating sugars into new tissues. Maybe it's because we go to sleep and haven't seen the plants for 8 hours that it seems growth is significant?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
It depends on the nutrient in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
Basically I think this is what you want to know:

Summary
  • PO4 is taken up in the day and night, but much more is absorbed in the light. PO4 is also preferentially taken up by shoots and roots.
  • Ca and K are both absorbed in light and darkness but more during the dark.
  • Mg is absorbed almost equally in light and darkness.

Phosphate and nitrate uptake thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post659666

Phosphate uptake in aquatic plants paper:
http://ir.ihb.ac.cn/bitstream/342005...catum%20L..pdf
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post666597
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants spend a lot of the night in building new tissues, but I think they grow all the time, too. But yes, they do a lot at night.

At night they respire, that is they burn the sugars they have made during the day, and use the energy to produce new tissue.

Zapins, thank for the links about when plants take in the various nutrients.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good info, thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode