Root Tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Root Tabs?

ihad some osmocote root tabs that iplaced in my 20 long 5-6 of them. inoticed after a few weeks after set up that my nitrates were really high. could it be cuz of the root tabs?

im thinking of using some of seachems root tabs but idk how effective they are from osmocote root tabs? imight just give them another shot.

also, when ihad my osmo root tabs, idid a rescape and some of the pebbles were on the surfave of the substrate. could thay be part of my high nitrates as well?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The osmocote can contribute nitrogen to the water.
They need to be buried all the way to the bottom, especially in a more open substrate like gravel. What kind of substrate do you have?

Yes, Osmocote in touch with the more actively moving water in the tank is a problem.
When you have finished the rescape you need to push then deep down.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM
uMc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have to manual remove the O+ tabs because of nitrate spike

Last edited by uMc; 03-14-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ihave flourite substrate but it seems like the root tabs do contribute to high nitrates then isee
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a 29g and my nitrates are okay. 29g has the same foot print as a 20l. I buried 12 osmocote gel tabs and 12 flourish tabs. I dose ei and my nitrates are current 10-20ppm after my weekly 50% water change and 30-40ppm before the change.

I use fluorite red and fluorite black sand mixed. 2-2.5 inches thick to make sure leeching is minimal.

I don't dose kno3 and instead up my k through other means. I don't need the ei nitrates.

Sent from my Nexus 5
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by randpost View Post
I have a 29g and my nitrates are okay. 29g has the same foot print as a 20l. I buried 12 osmocote gel tabs and 12 flourish tabs. I dose ei and my nitrates are current 10-20ppm after my weekly 50% water change and 30-40ppm before the change.

I use fluorite red and fluorite black sand mixed. 2-2.5 inches thick to make sure leeching is minimal.

I don't dose kno3 and instead up my k through other means. I don't need the ei nitrates.

Sent from my Nexus 5
have you seen an improved growth and color in your plants with the o root tabs? or even the flourish tabs?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
have you seen an improved growth and color in your plants with the o root tabs? or even the flourish tabs?
I had my flourish tabs in first, and they didn't really produce any noticeable results, but when I put in the osmocote my stems exploded.

I'm not sure how well these photos show it, but this is before and after the osmocote root tabs. I have to trim my background stems every 10 days because they hit the water line. color has improved also.

My HC is still growing and spreading but slowly. Root tabs seemed to only improve growth in my stems. My downoi have benefited also.

Before:

After:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post

wanted to ask, how high?
most root tabs are good for 4-6 months (i use seachem) and install every 5
if you just did a rescape, i'd say your just getting a "dump" from the tabs you stired up.

in a planted tank, arin't nitates used by plants for good growth?
all my (planted) tanks i run between 5ppm & 20ppm.
but if you Phosphates have bottomed out this would prevent the use of the Nitrates
by the plants

so nothing a water change won't cure.if your inclined to lower nitates.
but they'll build up again till the next water change. you could add more plants to absorb more nitates.
and work the tank into a good balance of nitates, plant growth, and fish health.

Last edited by tipsy mcstager; 03-14-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: z
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ihavent tested my nitrates in a couple of weeks but last time they were around 40 ppm. my plants are doing good with noticeable growth but ifeel like they have more potential. ihave high ligh and co2 injected and ei dosing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode