co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
co2?

So I finally started injecting my co2 into my hi light 75 gallon tank..Heres my problem...Ive been injecting the crap outta this tank, more bubbles in the counter than I can count..tank looks like a sprite bottle. And my drop checker is still not going green! Should I just keep bumping it up? heres a pic of the drop checker after 6 hrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here you can see how bubbly the tank is getting

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Might want to turn it off if unsure. There is a 24 hr pH test for co2 don't know the specifics, I read it somewhere. There maybe several factors involved in ur issue. From experience of purchasing 4dhk solution online, I now do not trust most sources for it. If either the pH or 4dhk solution is not good, ur checker could show false readings. It may be a saturation issue, or maybe its correct and u need more co2.
But above all watch ur fish for signs of stress. The drop checker is only one reference

Warranty not included

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish are acting business as usual..but i was also thinking maybe it was in solution. I may order some more from gla to make sure. I just hate to not be injecting enough and wasting it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If its from gla it probably OK. The diffuser could be the reason for sprite effect and if u have a lot of surface agitation it may not desolve efficiently.
Good luck with it

Warranty not included
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Drop checkers dont change for a bit, though shoudlve within 6 hours. First off, use pH to estimate CO2, since its much more accurate than that drop checker. Also, make sure distribution of co2 is good. So improve flow. Finally, try to not lose too much co2. So this involves things like no air stone, not too much surface agitation but enough to have a ripple. You're looking for a pH drop of about 1.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Are your plants pearling? Do the bubbles appear to dissolve at all or are they mostly going up and out?

Eheim Pimp #448
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what type of filtration are you using? if a canister or a sump, look into a reactor chamber. you will have much better co2 absorption and less micro bubbles in the main tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The anubias are pearling some under the leaves. My filtration is a hang on emperor 400 and a 360 canister..theres no airstone in the tank, was about to buy a power head? thought about doing a reactor, the co2 is def going up and covering the top of the tank. Using the aquatek diffuser which seems to be doing a good job. My water is just not absorbing. Im still getting green algae on new stuff in the tank which driving me crazy.

Im pumping so much co2...im afraid im gonna run out soon. And its 25 a refill here.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-14-2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Drop checkers dont change for a bit, though shoudlve within 6 hours. First off, use pH to estimate CO2, since its much more accurate than that drop checker.
A pH and KH measurement of the tank water is not at all accurate as a measure of CO2. Rarely will aquarium water not contain substances that affect the pH, and the pH/KH tables depend on nothing affecting the pH other than carbonates and CO2. You can measure the change in tank water pH with the CO2 on for an hour or so, vs with the CO2 off for 24 hours, and get a better estimate of how much CO2 you have, but all it gives you is the ratio between the ppm of CO2 with the CO2 on and the ppm of CO2 with the CO2 off, but not the absolute ppm of CO2.

The inaccuracy of a drop checker is entirely due to the difficulty in judging the color of the water in the drop checker. That is a big inaccuracy, but you have the same inaccuracy measuring the tank water pH.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode