Green Leaf AQ - 11% DPTA Iron Chelate Q's? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question Green Leaf AQ - 11% DPTA Iron Chelate Q's?

im thinking of purchasing some iron for my 20 long to bring out the reds in some of my plants but not too sure on how much to dose.

Im thinking of getting some iron chelate from GLA. I notice that theres is a 11% DTPA. Would that be okay for my 20 gal? pH around 7.0-7.5

How much would i need to dose, tspn wise, and how often? once a week or every time i dose my micros?

thanks everyone, advice and tips would be really helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
344mg 2-4 times a week if you want EI levels. If you have another iron source in your micro's you might want to cut back a bit. The only thing to avoid dosing/mixing with iron is phosphates because they will precipitate out.

http://rota.la/ is a great calculator...set 20 gallon, DIY, select DTPA 11%, dry dosing and The Estimative Index to get the values I gave you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
344mg 2-4 times a week if you want EI levels. If you have another iron source in your micro's you might want to cut back a bit. The only thing to avoid dosing/mixing with iron is phosphates because they will precipitate out.

http://rota.la/ is a great calculator...set 20 gallon, DIY, select DTPA 11%, dry dosing and The Estimative Index to get the values I gave you.
if you mean percipate out, are you saying that they would have no effect on the ppants in making them grow?

and what is 344 mg in tspns?

I currently dont have a scale

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
here use this 3x week

Your addition of 1.0 tsp DTPA Fe (11%) to your 500.0 mL water, with doses of 10.0 mL to your 20.0 gal aquarium adds
Element ppm/degree
Fe 0.11

make a solution of 500ml DI/RO water and add 1tsp of DTPA 11% and dose 10ml 3x week, this will give you good enough Fe.

BTW plants are not red due to Fe only, it also depends on good lights, water temp, Magnesium etc and more.

BTW PO4 doesn't react if the PH of the water is low and iron is in Chelate form.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you put iron and a phosphate together they will react and you will get a powder in the water column. So do not dose these together.

1 teaspoon is 4.929cc
The bulk density of the powder is around 0.6-0.7 g/cc
So 0.344g * 0.6 g/cc gives us 0.573 cc.
This is 1/10th of a teaspoon roughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post

BTW PO4 doesn't react if the PH of the water is low and iron is in Chelate form.
What pH is that? I figured since his was 7-7.5 it might.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-11-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If you put iron and a phosphate together they will react and you will get a powder in the water column. So do not dose these together.

1 teaspoon is 4.929cc
The bulk density of the powder is around 0.6-0.7 g/cc
So 0.344g * 0.6 g/cc gives us 0.573 cc.
This is 1/10th of a teaspoon roughly.
if idose iron 1 day abd phosphats the next day, would I be okay?

Quote:
here use this 3x week

Your addition of 1.0 tsp DTPA Fe (11%) to your 500.0 mL water, with doses of 10.0 mL to your 20.0 gal aquarium adds
Element ppm/degree
Fe 0.11

make a solution of 500ml DI/RO water and add 1tsp of DTPA 11% and dose 10ml 3x week, this will give you good enough Fe.

BTW plants are not red due to Fe only, it also depends on good lights, water temp, Magnesium etc and more.

Thanks! this will diff help out (:

Quote:
here use this 3x week

Element ppm/degree
Fe 0.11

would this solution also work with nicolg 10% iron cheated?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-11-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
if idose iron 1 day abd phosphats the next day, would I be okay?
Yes, you would be fine after a few minutes in all likely hood. I personally dose one in the morning (macros) and one in the evening (micros).

If you use 10% the weights would be slightly different. Most likely you would be close enough that it doesn't matter.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
What pH is that? I figured since his was 7-7.5 it might.
this is true when making solution, you have to make a acidic solution with PH of around 6.5 or less. it is true that hard water with PH of 7+ will more often see the PO4 and Fe reaction, but different chelate are still more stable than the others, for his water i would highly recommend using DTPA.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
this is true when making solution, you have to make a acidic solution with PH of around 6.5 or less. it is true that hard water with PH of 7+ will more often see the PO4 and Fe reaction, but different chelate are still more stable than the others, for his water i would highly recommend using DTPA.
Okay, thanks for the info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode