DIY CO2 With Brown sugar??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 With Brown sugar???

Hase anyone tryed useing Brown Sugar for a DIY C02, instead of white sugar??
I mean brown sugar has some minerals, which include calcium, potassium and magnesium in small amounts no less... I was thinking, is it possable that some of these minerals may actually help the plants a little? Via C02 diffusion..

Once my 40B is ready I would like to try this out for a while and see what the results are...

If anyone has ever done this before, let me know how things went for you.

Last edited by boxboy; 03-10-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower

before I used brown sugar, I used it as same as the white sugar. sometimes it has longer days producing CO2
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unless you're letting your yeast/sugar slurry leak into your tank (super bad idea), these minerals will not get to your plants. Yeast eats sugar, producing ATP for itself, and [censored][censored][censored][censored]ting out CO2 and ethanol into the surrounding environment. The CO2 escapes the yeast chamber as a gas and travels into your aquarium. The ethanol remains in the bottle and slowly creates a toxic environment which will eventually collapse the yeast colony. I can't imagine how calcium, potassium and magnesium would manage to become gaseous and leave the container.

These minerals might provide essential micronutrients for yeast, which could translate into greater yeast culture longevity. I don't know yeast micronutrient requirements off the top of my head, however, so this is just a random guess.

For optimal yeast culture health and longevity, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yeast%20nutrient&sprefix=yeast+nutrie%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ayeast%20nutrientonline or at your local homebrew store.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Was going to say exactly what T.S. said...The *only* thing that should be getting to your tank is the CO2, make sure you use some sort of gas separator/bubble counter.

FYI...three 2 liter bottles using 1/4tsp yeast 2 cups of sugar each works well for me on my 40. Change one bottle every week using grocery store yeast not fancy stuff. I also don't bother with baking soda. Use a check valve off each 2 liter so the bottles don't feed gas into each other.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info folks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

just FYI, use raw cane sugar if possible. you can get it at most grocery stores with bulk bins. I mix one cup per liter of water, 1/4 tsp of yeast per liter. I use two one gallon bottles and they produce co2 for a little over a month at stable levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

I used sugar with a little molasses to great effect.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:53 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Brown sugar is just white sugar with a small amount of molasses in it.

I've heard of people adding in molasses as fertilizers to gardens because it contains so many goodies plants like. I imagine you'd have to be very careful adding it to your aquarium or things could get nasty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive got cane suger here Thanks. I will be just DIYing Co2 till I can get a good deal on a 2.5lb co2 tank and regulator, otherwise diy all the way...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode