Name that deficiency - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Name that deficiency

Tank Size: 29G (moderately planted)
Lighting: really high
Co2: as high as I can go without losing livestock.

current water params:
PH 7
Nitrates 60 (60% water change tomorrow, I do twice a week)
GH 6-7
KH 4

I dose EI. I will be removing KNO3 from dosing tomorrow and adding more K2S04 just to make up for the K loss.

So all my plants in the tank are doing well except for a few stems of Ludwigia Repens. I have over 40 stems. These stem are deteriorating. It starts with a small hole and progresses. I should note that the stems are growing about 2 inches a week, and i'm starting to see the top leaves curl.

if you need more info, let me know.

here are some photos:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Almost look's like magnesium to me outside of the most obvious lack of CO2.
GH test's don't tell us whether the water is rich in calcium,magnesium,or both.
Could not hurt to add a little Epsom salt for magnesium for a few week's and note any further deteriorating or improvement.
Lot's of folk's think red plant's mean's more light needed, but it is nearly alway's gonna be CO2 that does more for these plant's than increased lighting.
Excel may not be too expensive over the long haul for your tank for it is not too large, and this may produce desired result's.
Your other plant's look great from the photo's.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
OOP'S Really must read more carefully.
I see you are adding CO2 so maybe look at way's to get more of it to circulate throughout.
Some folk's have good success with additional power head's. Koralia makes several model's that won't break the bank.
Other's mount spray bar on back glass pointed toward's front glass so flow is directed down the front glass,across the substrate,and back up the back glass where you particular plant is placed.
Might still consider some magnesium in case your water does not have as much mag,as calcium.
Lowering the light intensity would also help by lowering demand for CO2/nutrient's.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a koralia 425. Also have a canister with spray bar and inline co2 reactor.

I do think magnesium is worth a shot. Will adding Epsom affect RCS at all?

Could it be a calcium deficiency?

Forgot to add:

Photoperiod 7hrs.

Sent from my Nexus 5
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randpost View Post
Tank Size: 29G (moderately planted)
Lighting: really high
Co2: as high as I can go without losing livestock.

Maybe this.........
Quote:
The symptom of iron deficiency is chlorosis or yellowing between the veins of the youngest leaves, while older leaves remain green. This allows iron deficiency to be distinguished from magnesium deficiency (see below). Usually there is a sharp distinction between the yellow chlorotic tissue and the green veins. That distinguishes iron deficiency from zinc and manganese deficiencies in which color changes gradually. In severe cases, the yellowing runs into the veins and the whole leaf turns yellow or even white.
http://toptropicals.com/html/toptrop...onutrients.htm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I add iron chelate to my micro mix which I dose 3 days a week. I'm just using a cheap phone camera, and the yellow you see in the picture is actually red to my eyes or light red. I can't really say whether its my eyes or the camera that bad with color.

I just did an 80% water change a few minutes ago. I decided to skip the 25% mix of tap water into my r/o and went straight r/o. added gh booster(gla: calc and mag blend) with some baking soda.
GH at 8 and KH at 4. Controlling my water mineralization should help me rule out calcium and magnesium.

I don't think its my substrate nutrients either. I had put flourish tabs in the Fluorite and then added osmocote+ a month later since the flourish tabs lacked some nutrients. Fluorite substrate is 2-3 inches thick, so the osmocote+ leeching is minimal.

Hopefully I can say that it was either calcium or magnesium when I stop seeing this type of deficiency over time. If not, i'm getting fake plants

Unrelated:

My wife walked in on me weighing my gh booster on a gram scale and i spilled some. She called me a coke head after seeing the resulting mess.

EDIT:::

Now that I think about it, I don't think I can rule out a Co2 deficiency. Last time I upped it I had a few fish deaths and blamed it on the Co2, but perhaps it wasn't the co2. I think I will try to up the bubble count slowly again. Hopefully no RCS deaths, but I have plenty of them Plants > fish
Pic

Last edited by randpost; 03-10-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: upped co2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode