Off the charts GH.. so what to do... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Question Off the charts GH.. so what to do...

So my straight from the tap water is about 7.5 pH, and gh 160s... I recently got some very lovely looking rock, unfortunately it raises gh.. so now I can't even tell how high it is. API GH test kit only goes up to 12 drops = __ gh... it took 16 to get the color change from 1 week of soaking in water.

SO are there any adverse effects of having off the charts GH? I don't plant to use this in tanks with (wild caught)fish/plants that needs super low gh.. but does it have any bad effect on more tolerant plants or fish?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
That's pretty high how many gallons?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Ammania plants, erios and some rotalas do not do well in very high GH water and will not grow, or not grow normally. Other than that the effects of high GH are difficult to determine.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlest View Post
That's pretty high how many gallons?
3 gallon bucket 6 days of soaking

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The rocks are probably carbonate rocks, so your KH is very likely very high also. High KH is more likely to be a problem for fish and plants than high GH is. Maybe you can find some more benign rocks to use?

Hoppy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My GH is 13 and I can grow pretty much any plant:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The veins are 2:1 calcium carbonate/ magnesium

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The rocks are probably carbonate rocks, so your KH is very likely very high also. High KH is more likely to be a problem for fish and plants than high GH is. Maybe you can find some more benign rocks to use?
My KH was in the 70s from tap, didn't test it in the rock soaked water yet. I wish i could use these rocks though they look so damn good :c

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
My GH is 13 and I can grow pretty much any plant:

Rub it in why donchya....

Quote:
The veins are 2:1 calcium carbonate/ magnesium

I didn't really think about how it would effect the water before I grabbed them.. not taht my water was very ideal to begin with though.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got an r/o test going right now. How many gallons were you planning on putting them in? And how much of the 10 pounds I sold you are you going to use. I'm experimenting to find out lbs x gallons to achieve 100 tds in a 40b. But if you want more info were sitting at 180ppm in 5 gallons of r/o after a week. The acid treated is at 20ppm. 5 ppm to start with. Those numbers are not including 20% water change.

"Tds"

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-10-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My GH is 17 and I have no problems growing anything in my tank. Only thing that sucks is I want to keep CRS butttttt that's not happening anytime soon lol

~Sam

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I got an r/o test going right now. How many gallons were you planning on putting them in? And how much of the 10 pounds I sold you are you going to use. I'm experimenting to find out lbs x gallons to achieve 100 tds in a 40b. But if you want more info were sitting at 180ppm in 5 gallons of r/o after a week. The acid treated is at 20ppm. 5 ppm to start with. Those numbers are not including 20% water change.

"Tds"

I don't have exact #s yet to give... was going to use as part of a gift setup for my husband but he's not decided on a gallon/tank size yet. I'd planned to hook his tank up to an ehiem 2211 canister and have the lines split between his tank and my future 7 gallon (our desks are pushed against each-other, canister would be directly under/in between the tanks). Soooo anywhere from 10-19 gallons + however much the canstiser filter holds.. say 3 empty? So 12-22 gallons range maybe? But if the off the charts GH effects plants more adversely than the taps already insane 160s GH I might have to give him his own filter in which case could be 4-17 gallons depending on tank size and filter chosen. As for the amount of rock.. also depends on what size tank is chosen, 3 gallon, 4 gallon, 6 gallon, 12 gallon... so no clue about poundage yet.

On a random note:... am I doing the damn test wrong? I count every drop until it turns green in api test (was 16 drops with the rock soaked water)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
My GH is 17 and I have no problems growing anything in my tank. Only thing that sucks is I want to keep CRS butttttt that's not happening anytime soon lol
Too low for shrimp?... wonder if theres a point were its too high for shrimp (gh)

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are limits for how much of a particular mineral will dissolve in the water.
Please also test the KH:
tap water:
Rock water:

When you have hard water (high GH) then keep fish that thrive in hard water.
Most live bearers, certain Rainbow Fish and their relatives, Rift Lake Cichlids ...

As already noted above, most aquarium plants will do just fine in hard water.

Yes, you are doing the test right. 1 drop of reagent = 1 German degree of hardness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not cross connect tanks to one filter. It is very difficult to balance the return and one or the other tank will overflow.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So theoretically if you stuck that ten pounds into ten gallons it's going to raise tds by 36ppm

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe not.
At some point it will reach equilibrium, and the rock will stop dissolving until a water change it done that removes some of the dissolved materials, or the plants and fish remove enough calcium and magnesium from the water.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
There are limits for how much of a particular mineral will dissolve in the water.
Please also test the KH:
tap water:
Rock water:

When you have hard water (high GH) then keep fish that thrive in hard water.
Most live bearers, certain Rainbow Fish and their relatives, Rift Lake Cichlids ...

As already noted above, most aquarium plants will do just fine in hard water.

Yes, you are doing the test right. 1 drop of reagent = 1 German degree of hardness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not cross connect tanks to one filter. It is very difficult to balance the return and one or the other tank will overflow.
The bugger about this is I want to keep the fish that like it soft *sigh* (no wild caught). Will test KH tomorrow (and retest GH) gotta keep it hidden (rock is suppose to be a suppose to be a suprise shhh). Thank you everyone that's responded so far, happy to hear more input/experiences etc ^^

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode