How to tell if you have enough filtration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
How to tell if you have enough filtration

I figured it was based on tank size and bioload. I have a 75 gal high tech planted tank with 5 dwarf plecos (4" each), 8 rams, 4 dwarf honey gouramis, 1 big goyder river rainbow, and a dozen other assorted smaller fish.

I run an Eheim 2217 and admittedly the intake is in the back behind some plants and probably should be raised a little. I also have a Koralia powerhead that is plenty strong so I face it somewhat against the front glass to avoid uprotting small plants in the foreground. My plants are starting to fill in pretty well and I know the Koralia will work well for flow even if my plants get larger.

I still see some floating particles and other debris in the tank. I am feeding black worms, flakes, carnivore pellets, and algae pellets daily.

I am wondering if I need a second Eheim 2217 on this tank. I read another member's comments that filtration and flow are commonly confused and people end with more filtration (canister filters) than needed when all they really needed was a powerhead for better flow.

Interested in what others are running on their stocked 75 gallon system and why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't have a 75 but I'll be setting up a 55 austrailian rainbow tank and I'll be running a 2217 and a power head. If I needed more I'd wait for a sale and get another eheim. I just picked up a 2213 for $75 and I've seen the 2217 as low as $105 on a daily deal at marine depot. You have more than enough room for both of the out flows. Right now I have both a 2215 and that 2217 on a 46 bow and it's more than enough flow for the tank. sometimes I have debris floating but that is my usual indication of water change time and I also have a pleco and she likes to stir everything up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do you have enough for your tank size, probably. Most people filter by preference. For instance, I have a 2217 on a 29g. On my 75g I have an Eheim 2075/2229 and a small powerhead.

Eheim Pimp #448

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
People throw out numbers all the time about how much GPH is necessary.
But fish have different needs and eating habits and whatnot.

I've found sticking to 5x turnover rate an hour is good for me.

Under construction.

Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
As long as your filter is working property and you don't overstock, and do 50% water changes every week, you will be fine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
So if I have debris still floating in the water, I really should just adjust my powerhead position and reposition the canister intake tube instead of adding another canister filter? I am diligent about cleaning the canister, so I know that is not the problem. I also do a 50% water change each week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode