Mixing Seachem products for autodosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mixing Seachem products for autodosing

Hi all,

I will be moving to dry ferts very soon but would like to use up the remainder of my Seachem products before I start using the dry since I have the larger 2L and 4L jugs. I was wondering if there are concerns with mixing the following Seachem products into 2 solutions to use for dosing?

Fluorish
Nitrogen
Phosphorous
Potassium
Iron
Trace

I heard that Fe and P shouldnt be mixed as it becomes insoluble. Are there any other concerns? I have an autodoser that has 2 dosing channels which is why I would like to make 2 solutions so any suggestions would be helpful. I will also eventually be looking to combine the dry ferts into 2 solutions for dosing as well via PPS Pro or EI but that is a discussion for later (unless someone has any comments regarding mixing dry into solutions).

Tank is 60 gallons with Compressed Co2, dual T5HO geissman flora bulbs and a Finnex Ray2 in case anyone needs to know that info.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From Alberta Canada? Come join us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mix NPK in one solution then trace and iron in the other. Any link to the dosing pump you used? About how much did it run you?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY_Betta_Guy View Post
.....I heard that Fe and P shouldnt be mixed as it becomes insoluble. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
Mix NPK in one solution then trace and iron in the other.
I'm confused. According to Seachem's chart it's okay to dose Iron and Phosphorus at the same time. How is that any different than mixing them?

See chart: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
I'm confused. According to Seachem's chart it's okay to dose Iron and Phosphorus at the same time. How is that any different than mixing them?

See chart: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf
When dosing them, you are putting them into a much larger volume of water, so there is less chance that ferric phosphate will precipitate out.

However, when storing more concentrated solutions together, there is a higher chance.

Some people have noticed when dosing them immediately one after another, a slight haze can develop (this is likely the ferric phosphate).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I mix seachem products for auto dosing. It works fine. Keep npk separate. I keep N separate from all the others though (3 channel pump) because when combined, I got bad molding problems.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful as usual. Will probably add excel in to prevent molding as it sounds like that is a good preventative measure.
Should I bother also adding the Seachem Fluorish comprehensive into the mix?

@ JeffE - I bought the GHL Profilux 4 pump and I think it was around 400 Canadian dollars. I have 2 60 gallon tanks that are identical and this pump services both tanks with 2 pumps each. Works quite nicely so far.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes you need micros.

I do:
ch1- mix of Fe + seachem comp
ch2- N
ch3- PK

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what I meant was should I mix the comprehensive in with the trace and iron?
Therefore my plan will be:
Ch1: NPK
Ch2: Trace + Iron + comprehensive

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You don't need trace. Mix comp with fe. Comprehensive is a complete micro mix.

Fluval Spec V

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been doing the autodosing with the Seachem products combined for a bit now and things seem a bit off (signs of some deficiencies) so I am wondering if I am dosing the right amounts.

For example:
I have combined the FE and Comprehensive into 1 solution but I suspect that I might be dosing the incorrect amount. Looking at the YANC nutrient calculator for EI dosing it states that each dose for the 2 should be 35 mL of comprehensive and 11mL of Iron separately. So I have mixed these at 380mL comp and 119mL FE to fill a 500mL bottle. Am I right that I should be dosing 46mL each dose 2-3 times a week seem to be the correct math here or am I out to lunch?

Last edited by CGY_Betta_Guy; 06-06-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode