Plant problems, under dosing, over dosing, please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant problems, under dosing, over dosing, please help

Thanks for looking at these pictures that show some of the issues I'm dealing with and pin pointing the problem. I am not macro dosing NPK.

Some info on my tank:

Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil/cap of flourite black sand.
Lighting: 24" Finnex Ray 2 DS (35-40 par at substrate level)
Dosing: DIY co2, overdosing excel @ 5ml for 33g tank daily, twice a week Flourish Trace @ directions level, once a week API leaf zone @ directions level

Hopefully these pictures are clear enough to help, but what i'm trying to show is a yellowing, browning, transparency(melting), or holes.

New growth, seemingly unaffected, lush green growth.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	282426  

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	282434  

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	282442  

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	282450  

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	282458  

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	282466  

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	282474  

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	282482  

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	282490  

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	282506  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Would getting dry ferts and following an EI dosing schedule fix these issues?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes it would. Since you already have some nutrient, you might only need what is listed as EI low lights/weekly under "and I am calculating for".
How long your tank has been set up and how thick the MGOPS is determines how long/
or how much you can depend on it to supply all the nutrients. Swords and Wisteria use up more than average plants also.
Sure the soil "should" provide it but just look at your plants before deciding that it "does" provide it.
You only have a double dose of the Excel(5ml per 60g rec. dose) and the DIY CO2
combined should(there's that word again) be enough of that for your level of light.
Between that and a photoperiod of 7.5-8.5hrs will keep out most of any algae.
I think the better balanced ferts would kill off the Staghorn algae also but check the first thread on the algae section for guitars algae list if it really bothers you. I don't mind it as it looks like just another plant to me.(Pictures 1,2,3,5)
A couple of stray thoughts: If you had two thermometers in opposit ends of the tank, would they read differently as that corner where the heater is gets little current.
The Ludwigia will appreciate it were you to move it under the light more and last but not least a hand full of Java moss wrapped around the pump would eventually hide it.
But just stray thoughts like I said.
http://calc.petalphile.com/

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
This looks like potassium deficiency - pinholes in the old growth.

The sword plant looks as if it has been eaten by a pleco though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Zapins: Tomorrow will be my second dose of API leaf zone, so if it is a potassium deficiency hopefully that will fix the issue. The sword plant, I thought may have been sensitive to the high amount of excel, the new growth is less affected, the old growth is transparent. (No pleco in this tank, just danios, today i added guppies and juv. angelfish)

@Raymond: this tank has been set up for 3 weeks or so. Some plants I added a week ago, some were added during the initial set up. I expected the HC to give me the most trouble, but it seems pretty OK. Am I correct in the fact that my use of soil has negated the need for initial macro dosing? As far as I know I do not have staghorn algae in this tank, my photos are low quality, so you may be seeing root structure, or duck weed minor. vines. I like the idea of moving the Ludwigia, it was a strand that I got in my plant bags from the LFS by accident, I didn't place it correctly.

I'm new to the macro dosing aspect of this, and I kind of stayed away from it because I was unsure. I see the link you posted, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Where do I start to know, what I need to be dosing?

Was considering purchasing from this fellows website, he has a pound of fert deal, whatever combo you want: http://www.theplantguy.org/Dry-fertilizers_c_27.html

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Zapins will quickly tell you that using only some of the nutrients that the plants need only works till the one which is there in the least amount gets used up first.
The least amount of all the nutrients in the tank whereever they are from.
If you or the fish waste added them. After that the plants just can't grow any more.
Fish waste can provide enough for a limited amount of plants but it looks as if yours have started to go past where they are enough. If only Potassium is low that will stall the issue for a while till some other nutrient comes up short.
That would give you some time to read up on it at your leisure. This is a good starting point. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303
And for example some people have water problems where they would like to eliminate one kind of nutrient from what they are dosing so buying individual nutrients works for them. Other people can just buy packages which contain all the normally used nutrients. The Osmocote+ capsules on this link are good complete ferts and are cheap but you don't get to change any amounts of any particular nutrients.
Also on this link is a "EI liquid fert" package which makes dosing easy and is complete.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
You can get good packages from that link you have but would you know which nutrients to order ? Why not check out the links that I gave you and then get back here for yet another question...LOL...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Plant Whisperer

Can you do an ammonia test/nitrite/nitrate?

Looking again at the sword plant it looks like it was previously grown emersed. Often the old emersed growth will die off when submersed, this is quite common with sword plants.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Zapins, I never test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate :S I know... get the pitch forks. haha. I've only done the low tech method, good substrate, fish poop feeds the plants. etc.

@Raymond, I read the info you gave me, I got the jist of it. I wanted an easy, jack of all trades fert system.. and although EI seems rather easy (and somewhat wasteful) I've settled on the PPS-Pro method for my first attempt.

Perpetual Preservation System - https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro

This method seems more up my alley then EI, but its also somewhat recommended for low tech, but I thought i'd give it a try and see what it is like. While ordering the ferts, I went a bit crazy and bought tons of new plants:

Hydrocotyle verticillata (whorled marshpennywort)
Crinum calamistratum (Crinum calamistratum)
Sagittaria sublata
Blyxa japonica
Ammania gracilis (Nesaea crassicaulis)
Java Fern Windelov (Lacy) (Microsorium pteropus v. 'Windelov')
Salvinia (Salvinia natans)
Chain, Sword- Broad Leaf (Echinodorus quadricostatus )
Banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
Vallisneria contortionist ( Giant cockscrew Singapore origin)

I think this is about the most impulsive thing I've ever done

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Plant Whisperer

JJVanier the tests would be helpful in figuring out what is wrong. Often times if you take a water sample to your local pet store they will test it for free.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, understood, is their a test kit you can recommend- I dont get to my LFS often?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Plant Whisperer

No particular brand just regular ammonia test/nitrite/nitrate tests.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode