Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton Canada
No ammonia and no nitrite in new tank, is it possible?
I recently planted my 90g after 3 years out of the hobby.
1) I added 5 white cloud minows and my Eheim 2213
2) 3 days later I added lots of plants and my co2 system and dosed with dry nitrate and iron
3) two weeks later NO detectable ammonia or nitrite and plants growing very well
4) I added 5 more white clouds and 2 platties
5) another week later NO detectable ammonia or nitrite and some plants grew 16 inches in 2 weeks!
7) added eheim 2215 also, took some media from 2213 and put it in the 2215, now running both
6) took all fish out and put them in my 10g quarantine tank and added 10 Indian flashers and 20 cardinals
7) another week later and NO detectable ammonia or nitrite (this is at about 25 days now)
How is this possible? In the past I always had cycling problems?
New setup May 14, 2017: standard 75g tank eheim 2215 (will add a second filter), 36" fluval planted 2.0, 36" planted + 24/7, marineland basic 36' LED, cycling tank now with a few neons, CO2 system (GLA reg, controller and aqariumplants.com reactor)
old Setup SOLD 2014: 90g planted and setup tank.
co2 system, dosing dry ferts 2-3 times a week, Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215 running through co2 reactor
aquarium plants.com co2 system, 10 young Indian flasher barbs (Rosline sharks)