I need a liquid fertz tutorial - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need a liquid fertz tutorial

Once upon a time I tried EI dosing in my 20g tank. I followed the dosing schedule developed by Tom Barr and I ended up with an algae nightmare. After I got rid of the all the algae, I got some advice from The Barr Report and tried EI dosing again with reduced/adjusted doses. But the result was the same: algae explosion. So I gave up on fertilizing almost entirely. About once a month I put in a capful of Flourish Comprehensive (which I think is mostly micros). Other than that, I rely on the natural method (i.e., fish poo). My plants grow slowly/moderately (which is fine with me), but I assume they would look healthier if they were getting good fertz. So, for my new 55g that I'm setting up, I am thinking of trying liquid fertilizers (probably the Seachem NPK product line). Can anyone give me advice on using this type of product in a way that won't result in a plague of algae?

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you had algae like that, something was out of balance.. how was your CO2?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
If you had algae like that, something was out of balance.. how was your CO2?
On the 20g I use DIY C02 (2x 2-litre bottles, diffused through limewood air-stone below the filter outflow). My drop checker was always solidly in the green. On my new tank I will be using pressurized C02 (5lb. cylinder with a GLA regulator and atomic inline diffuser).

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Depends on your bioload. Do you have fast growing plants? How planted is your tank? How fast are your plants growing? How strong is your light? lime green is good. Maybe there is a problem with the mixture you made? I made my mixture and was getting algae issues. I reduced my dosing and still I had algae problems. I then found out that the phosphates in my mixture were too high vs the other salts.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Hens and Chicks Plants >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay. Please read my original post. I'm not asking anyone to help me solve my algae problem from 8 months ago. That problem has already been solved long ago. I only told that story as a lead up to my decision to try liquid fertilizers in my new tank. What I am asking for now is tips/advice for using liquid fertilizers such as Seachem's Flourish line. Does anyone have any experience with these products? Are they any good? What type of dosing regimen did you follow? etc....

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
What I am asking for now is tips/advice for using liquid fertilizers such as Seachem's Flourish line. Does anyone have any experience with these products? Are they any good? What type of dosing regimen did you follow? etc....
They are reasonable as a commercial product. Purchasing the fertilizers that Seachem makes can be expensive in the long run. Bulk chemicals are much cheaper.

Seachem has their own suggested dosing regimen, as on their website:

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like you I've done the liquid and switch to a dry fert. All my tanks have done far worse than when I only dosed a few of the liquid seachem line. Not only did I have insane algae blooms but deficiencies in some plants came almost over night. I'm also debating going back to liquid ferts as clearly something wasn't mixed right and I don't have time to buy a scale learn how to weigh out ferts and figure out what someone mixed wrong in my "EI" fert regime. I would recomend buying the seachem line in this order if you can't buy all at once: Excel, Potasium, Nitrogen, Iron, Phosphorus, and any other that follow, I think they even make a trace element one but not to sure. Hope that helps a little more than talking about how EI is "amazing when done right"

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wonder how all those folk's who use EI or reduced EI Like myself..manage to get healthy growth with no algae.??
With liquid fertz commercially sold,you get mostly water but same nutrient's.
Can't blame EI dosing or reduced dosing of EI for algae problem's (according to what's been posted) or ton's of folk's would report same. (they don't)
Must look to other causes, poor CO2 distribution,inconsistent delivery of CO2 , too much light,poor maint.

Last edited by roadmaster; 02-24-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Wonder how all those folk's who use EI or reduced EI Like myself..manage to get healthy growth with no algae.??
With liquid fertz commercially sold,you get mostly water but same nutrient's.
Can't blame EI dosing or reduced dosing of EI for algae problem's (according to what's been posted) or ton's of folk's would report same. (they don't)
Must look to other causes, poor CO2 distribution,inconsistent delivery of CO2 , too much light,poor maint.
I am not really "blaming" EI for my past algae problems. But I do wonder if liquid fertz might be more forgiving to the inexperienced hobbyist. As you say, liquid fertz are mostly water, so maybe there is a wider margin of error. In other words, maybe with liquid fertz you can mess up a little bit and not have a disaster on your hands, whereas with EI salts you have to be more accurate all the time. I don't really know. I'm just speculating.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode