RO/DI water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
RO/DI water?

hey everyone,
ikno that using ro or di water is far more better than using tap water, I had a quick question

what would the drinking water that comes in the big jugs where you have it sitting on the unit and it pour water into your cup be considered ? (sorry for the long description lol)

Would it be RO/DI water and safe for fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is nothing more then filtered water and not much different then tap water
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You need to re mineralize the water with the electrolytes and whatnot in order for it to safe for freshwater fish. RO Right, Equilibrium both seem to be the answer from what I have read. Either one will supposedly work just fine.

I have a DI unit myself, though I am still learning and experimenting with parameters before using it in my tanks.

Cheers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use only DI water in my tanks , I buffer the water 24 hours before use and have a small pump and air stone I make 75 gallons at a time , my fish use DI and I only drink RO

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
I use only DI water in my tanks , I buffer the water 24 hours before use and have a small pump and air stone I make 75 gallons at a time , my fish use DI and I only drink RO
I'm curious as to what you prefer to buffer your water with? Why do you pump air for 24 hours?

I have a DI unit and am still unsure as to how to use it properly without endangering my fish or plants. Does the use of a chem like RO right or Equilibrium suffice?

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Depending on what your using it for. There are buffers for about every type of parameters that you want to use.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
I'm curious as to what you prefer to buffer your water with? Why do you pump air for 24 hours?

I have a DI unit and am still unsure as to how to use it properly without endangering my fish or plants. Does the use of a chem like RO right or Equilibrium suffice?

Thanks!
I buffer for cichlids so I use cichlid salt and malawi buffer 33 grams of salt and 140 grams of the buffer says right on the bottle how much to use for each 10 gallons the pump moves the water to dissolve the buffer ,the air stone is not needed but helps .
Cichlids like high ph 8.0-8.2 its hard to buffer di water that high, I just don't want to use the dirty tap water, my water is clean and I control all the readings

You would want to use soothing like seachem equilibrium and alkaline buffer then 24 hours latter if your ph reads high you add a little acid buffer to lower .

You want to keep you ph and temp as close as possible to match your tank.
It was a little confusing at first, it gets easier only measure no need to take test reads brcouse its always the same.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode