Fertilize heavily or adjust as plants grow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to d28 boy
As my tank is growing and filling in after a change in aquascaping, would it be better to fertilize on an increasing basis as plants grow, or to add some fast growing plants and fertilize accordingly for a heavily planted tank? I am working on a "lawn" with patches of dwarf hairgrass, microsword, and glosso. Also have a sword, anubias, and corkscrew val jungle. Suggestions for fast growing plants? Thanks, Brian :shock:

55 gallon - 4x55watt power compacts
fluval 404 - pressurized co2 - cardinal tetras - SAE's - pleco - platys - corys - amazon swords - crypts - anubias - spirall val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I would suggest to fertilize based on test results (for NO3 and PO4) and on label instructions, if you use say Flourish.

Naturally, if there are few plants, they will use less nutrients, and as the tank begins to fill up with plants, you will need to increase amounts and frequency of fertilizer dosing.

I apologize if that doesn't answer your question... not sure if I understood correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi wasserpest,
I am trying to encourage the low-growing carpet, so I don't want to shade it too much. I have seen some posts describe using "fast growing" plants to suck up nutrients while your slower growers are getting established, I just don't want it to slow down the development of the low growers. what about floating plants, too much shade or not a problem? thanks, Brian

fluval 404 - pressurized co2 - cardinal tetras - SAE's - pleco - platys - corys - amazon swords - crypts - anubias - spirall val

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Well, floating plants are great nutrient hogs, but they also create a lot of shade, which would not be good for the low growing groundcover stuff.
Fast growers like Ceradopteris (Water Sprite), Wisteria etc suck up a lot of nutrients, while you can keep them from overgrowing and shading the cover plants.
I guess I am a little confused. Usually you'd use those plants to reduce excessive nutrient levels, but you want to keep them up... a little contradictory. In the beginning, when the tank is still unstable, I would add lots of plants, keep the fert levels low, and be patient with the covers. As the cover spreads and the tank becomes more stable, you can remove some of the faster growers.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode