It has been years since I had a planted tank. I swapped to lake tang. cichlids about 10 years ago while I was in the army. Moving so much, I figured rocks and fish are easier to deal with breaking down and transporting lol.
So I'm back into planted tanks WITH my julie's and tropheus. I am ok with the troph's eating my plants, its part of my master plan. I just got my plants (not much yet) and co2 rocking 3 days ago. Dosing EI on a 55 gal, 54watt HO's. (its one ballast with 2 bulbs. The troph's loved the algae output those things produced.)
I started dosing Ei, Got a EI kit from GLA:
Using the 50-60 gal EI. 1/2tsp N 1/8 tsp PK.
Co2 about 2 bps, lime green drop checker with 4dkh standard.
My plant load is very small compared to what i used to do:
2 - bundles of Ludwigia reopens (red ludwigia in case i have wrong full name)
2- tattered Jungle Val
1- anubias. (the slow grower with the rizome?) I am horrible with names heh.
Two days after i get this all set up, the Reopens is bright red on top growth, but all the leaves are starting to curl and I notice a few leaf holes (not sure if it was there before or not), and the Anubias is curling as well on one of its big old leaves. The jungle Val i got was in bad shape, so I'm not expecting much from it for at least a week.
I know there is a Deficiency, because I noticed and tested Nitrate today and it was 0. So, on top of my CSM B this morning, about an hour ago i added 1/2 tsp of Nitrate and Potassium.
Should I double my doses on NPK day, or let things settle down for a week, I wasnt expecting so much growth and change in two days. The first day I put them in they were pearling and shooting o2 bubbles up. I was expecting a week to adjust my dosing and things are careening out of control alredy lol