How long too wait (Dechlorinater) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long too wait (Dechlorinater)

Iv'e just done a large water change and added some fluval "tap safe" - which, of-course, removes not only chlorine and chloramine but metals such as copper,magnesium etc - im not sure when too add the fertilizer after adding the tap safe - as i presume it will remove the minute quantities of copper, mag and other metals it contains and possible even some of the other elements (correct me if im wrong )

Can i just wait an hour, 2 hours? or do i need to wait a day or so? Any help greatly appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Macro nutrient's could be added right after water change,but I would wait and add micro nutrient's the next day for reason's you have noted.
Is what I would do.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is just guesses on my part, but here goes.

Is the material acting as a chelator?
Chelators have an affinity for many elements, not just the ones they list.
The level of attraction varies.
If one element is bound to the chelator but not very tightly, and another element becomes present (ie, when you dose) then the new element might get attached to the chelator and the old one gets knocked off.
This would not be good, since presumably the one that was originally bound up was one you did not want in the tank, and the one you have added is a plant nutrient that you want to have available to the plants.

Here comes the guess:
I think plants can remove many of the minerals from the chelator.
Sort of like a soil with high cationic exchange capacity. When the plant removes something that it needs the chelator is available again to grab something else, perhaps one of the minerals you want it to bind to.
Eventually the chelator will bind to something so strongly that it cannot be undone, or else the chelator gets broken down and is no longer a chelator. So you keep adding more.

Here is another guess:
It might not matter when you dose in relation to when you used the chelator. All the elements are connecting and disconnecting, getting used by plants and so on.
If you do wait, lets say 24 hours, it might give the chelator time to bind to the more strongly attracted things so it is locked up and won't grab the fertilizers.

To confirm this you might read more literature about the material you are using.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
This is just guesses on my part, but here goes.

Is the material acting as a chelator?
Chelators have an affinity for many elements, not just the ones they list.
The level of attraction varies.
If one element is bound to the chelator but not very tightly, and another element becomes present (ie, when you dose) then the new element might get attached to the chelator and the old one gets knocked off.
This would not be good, since presumably the one that was originally bound up was one you did not want in the tank, and the one you have added is a plant nutrient that you want to have available to the plants.

Here comes the guess:
I think plants can remove many of the minerals from the chelator.
Sort of like a soil with high cationic exchange capacity. When the plant removes something that it needs the chelator is available again to grab something else, perhaps one of the minerals you want it to bind to.
Eventually the chelator will bind to something so strongly that it cannot be undone, or else the chelator gets broken down and is no longer a chelator. So you keep adding more.

Here is another guess:
It might not matter when you dose in relation to when you used the chelator. All the elements are connecting and disconnecting, getting used by plants and so on.
If you do wait, lets say 24 hours, it might give the chelator time to bind to the more strongly attracted things so it is locked up and won't grab the fertilizers.

To confirm this you might read more literature about the material you are using.
Thanks very much this helped greatly (ditto for the above post), i think i'll play it safe and wait until late tomorrow .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode