too much co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
too much co2?

this is the tank in question (I removed the bubblewand since this pic was taken)

I have 3x 2liter diy co2's
each with 2 cups of sugar 1/4 tbs of wine yeast
and I also am injecting 5ml of excel in the morning to try and fight a recent algae outbreak
it's a 38gallon long/short tank
my lights are 2x 4ft t5ho 54watt's per bulb

Im wondering if diy co2 + 5ml injection is too much, I just started injecting for the first time yesterday and since then my embers have been pacing the glass more than normal, all the other fish seem fine though
i turned an airstone on over night and no deaths
they are pacing more noticeably tho
I have no drop checker so I thought I should post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
You can get a drop checker to be safe but I really doubt that with that much light and DIY co2, you have too much co2.

Also, with the bubble wand, you are most likey out gassing most of your co2.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I took the bubble wand out few weeks ago
you think maybe the embers just need to get used to the excel?
/edit

watching them pace the glass like this is kinda stressin me out
just did an 8gal water change and added an airstone while I did it to degas co2 to be sure I didnt add too much, basically trying to start over
after wc I added 2.5 ml of excel instead of 5
still pacing. water parameters are fine
0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate
any opinion helps,

Last edited by Ras; 02-14-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: added

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Are they gasping? That's what you have to look for. If they are at the surface gasping, then I would be worried. Otherwise, they may just need to adjust. You should reall look into pressurized co2. How high are your lights from the surface and what ferts are you dosing?

Also, how are you injecting the co2?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-15-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Excel has no effect on how much CO2 you have in the water, nor how much CO2 the fish can live with. Excel, in excess, can harm the fish, but that is because Excel is a potent biocide when dosed in too large dosages. I doubt that your fish are bothered by either the CO2 or the Excel -assuming you measured the 5 ml with reasonable accuracy. People often dose twice that much in a 55 gallon tank.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im injecting it with a needless syringe into the output of the spraybar and small bits in problem areas where there is hair algae
im dosing 5ml flourish potassium and a little less than 3 ml of flourish comp
both per week after water change
the lights are about 4-5 inches from the top of the tank, they used to be on 12 hrs a day but I started getting a serious algae problem, all types of different algae. so I lowered the photo period to 8 hrs and started using excel , mainly because I was told to spot treat with it and to use it to prevent algae outbreaks, so I thought I'd give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Excel has no effect on how much CO2 you have in the water, nor how much CO2 the fish can live with.
I'm not very good with science, what does this mean exactly?
im curious if this means you cant degas excel with an airstone the same way you do with actual co2?
I think I understand slightly, that one isnt the same as the other, excel says it is carbon which I assume isnt the same as co2 (carbon dioxide)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-15-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, all I know is that light, nutrients, and co2, are all directly dependent on each other, meaning you can't just increase one and expect results, well, not necessarily. My system is out of balance in that I have too much light and nutrients when compared to co2, meaning, adding more lights or nutrients wouldn't help. I wonder, would it cause an algae bloom if I added more of that stuff? I doubt it. I think instability in general (shocked plants) is what causes algae blooms (when algae is present), not the imbalance, or did I miss something? Anyhow, doesn't the pH and temp affect how much co2 you can dose before it's just wasted? Apparently, according to a post above, that's not the case with liquid co2, at least that's what I understood.

Okay, after that rant, to figure out whether or not you could use more co2...

Make sure you keep your fertilizer levels consistent, or at least, keep the swings to a minimum, and reoccurring consistently. This stabilizes the environment enough for you to test each factor individually.

Once you have the swing of that down, add more light. Do the plants react favorably? That means there wasn't enough light for the amount of ferts and co2, so no, you didn't need more. If the plants don't react favorably, then either more co2, or more fertilizer (consistent nitrate levels) is needed.

I'm totally new to this, so by all means, if someone sees that I'm wrong, please correct me. For all I know, my advice could shock your plants and cause an algae bloom. I hope someone does clarify. Please do come back and tell us what you figured. and how. I'm thinking about using liquid co2.

Last edited by mef1975; 02-17-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode