Tried the baking soda- - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, I added the baking soda to see if it raised my Kh and all it did was raise my Ph and Kh stayed 0. What does that mean?? Thanks- :? (Cant have the Ph high as this will be an angel tank)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
First make sure it was baking soda, not powder. Secondly, if the pH went up, most undoubtedly the KH went up too, it is the rise in KH that causes pH to rise. Mabey you have a bad test kit.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
I concur... :lol:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I third that one.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

It's impossible.

Ken
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Try sticking a spoonful of baking soda in a gallon of water and see if you get a reading.
Test kits do age. If it's been sitting around on a store shelf it may be bad.

I have really, really, really soft, acid water. Did take a bunch more than I expected to get to a KH of not quite 3.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

But Sue NH didnt it raise you Ph as well? I will try it in a gallon of water and let you know... Thanks all-
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay I tried the gallon of water. I have a Tetra kit that you add the drops to and you wait for the water to change from blue to yellow. First drop turns the water yellow which according to the test kit means less than one degree. Heres the puzzle. I just added one teaspoon of baking soda to a gallon of water and it turned blue immediatelyand got DARKER with more drops instead of turning yellow. Now Im confused! Sue of NH how do you buffer your soft water. Mine is extremely soft and a Ph of 6 out of tap (a surface well) Thanks alot for helping...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1 teaspoon of baking soda in a gallon of water is going to raise the kH to around 52. So of course the kH test kit is going to turn a very dark blue. And you would have to add a LOT of drops to get it back to yellow.

I have very soft water and use a mixture of baking soda, calcium carbonate, and Epsom salts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I did pretty much the same as the others, epsom salts and baking soda. Little bit at a time to bring things up slowly.
Added some chicken grit which is nothing more than crushed oyster shells. Actually I had added that before I realized my water was so soft. I could see the snails shells getting bad.

I change 1/2 my water weekly so I pretty much have to add a bunch more each week. Haven't done it enough to get it down pat yet.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A couple questions:

Will calcium carbonate raise the Ph also ??(I do not want to do that)

What does epsom salts do??

My water doesnt make any sense. When adding baking soda, the Gh and Ph went up and the Kh still shows less than 1 degree on the test kit. What should I be adding to raise the Kh, calcium carbonate?? Thanks- :?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can't raise the kH without raising the pH also. The two pretty much go hand in hand for our purposes. Epsom salts add magnesium which is part of the gH end of things.

As for your problem I think you need a new test kit. It's impossible to add baking soda and NOT have the kH go up. If you can detect the pH going up then the kH is going up also.

And baking soda will NOT raise the gH. I have to ask, are you sure you are using BAKING SODA and not BAKING POWDER?

Water never makes sense. It's an inert substance that follows basic rules of chemistry. If you add baking soda it will raise the kH and pH until you get it to a pH of around 8.2 as I recall. And then the kH will still continue to rise a bit.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a 90 gallon tank. I added 1 teaspoon of baking SODA and the Ph went from 6-7 without showing any Kh on the test at all. ?? I am ready to throw in the towel here guys!This morning the Ph is 6 and Kh is showing 0. How can your Ph drop overnight in an empty tank?? I am so confused. I want to keep the Ph low for angels. Have them now in a 30 gallon at 6.5 and all are happy. I am setting up a 90 gallon to plant and until this week didnt even know what Kh and Gh were. I really want to get this right. My plants are coming tomorrow and I thought things were looking better and today it is like the tank has crashed, and it is empty. Is that possible...I just dont know-
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Unless you have wild angels don't worry about it. I have angels that are spawning in water that has a pH of around 6.8. What pH water were the angels raised in? A teaspoon of baking soda in 90 gallons of water would only raise the kH by around half a degree.

I don't mean to be rude but are you having a problem following the math of "One teaspoon (about 6 grams) of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) per 50 liters of water will increase KH by 4 degrees and will not increase general hardness. Two teaspoons (about 4 grams) of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) per 50 liters of water will increase both KH and GH by 4 degrees." (50 liter = ~13 gallon)?

Also get a better pH test kit. You should have something like the Wardleys Mid-range test kit that give much better readings in a narrow range than a broad range pH test kit.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

NO I am not having trouble with following the math but when I put in only 1 teaspoon my Ph was already higher than I wanted it to be. I have had these angels for a year in the 30 gallon at aroung 6.5 so did not want to change that after all that time. So...if 1 teaspoon brought the PH up that much I did not want to add more and have the PH going up . Do you see what Im saying. Am I better off leaving it all as it is. Can you tell me why the PH went down so much overnight, that is really puzzeling me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode