Is zero Nitrate ok? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is zero Nitrate ok?

Hi,

I am dosing PPS-pro for my tanks and they are all planted tanks.
When I test for water, I always get zero nitrate. I think my plants are depleting the nitrate.

Plants are growing well, algae problem from cycling is now under control.So, it is going ok.

However, I am wondering if zero Nitrate is ok or I should up the N in my fert solution. Am I missing out even better growth potential or is it ok as is?

Thanks!

elfofelm

ps: Tank specifics: 46 gallon, CO2 at 2 bps, ph 6, kh 1, gh 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, phosphate (1-5 ppm), 21 neon tetras, 6 guppies, 5 corydoras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your floaters, if you have any, will soon show their hatred for lack of nitrates by beginning to die off/melt. The rooted plants will likely do fine as long as the substrate is not inert (I.E it's not simply sand or gravel).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
As I been told, no nitrates in a planted tank is NOT a good thing....that is a needed nutrient for them to thrive....I was told to keep it around 20ppm....good luck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
First make sure you really have zero nitrate.

Add a single grain of dry nitrate to your test sample. Or the tiniest smear of your liquid nitrate solution. Or far better, look up instructions for calibrating a nitrate test, which involves preparing a solution of known concentration.

And test it. Still get zero? Your test is wrong. (Though it's also possible you or your supplier have mixed up nitrate with something else, and you're not dosing nitrate as you thought.)

You'll notice the test instructions say one bottle must be shaken. That's because the active ingredient is solid crystals in suspension. They need to be evenly distributed in the liquid for a good test result, but over time they tend fall to the bottom and clump together. A clump can also partially block the dropper, preventing any crystals from coming out whatsoever, but still allowing useless liquid to come out. All of which can lead to low or zero test results.

To fix the test, you have to whack the bottle repeatedly on a hard surface to break up clumps. Shake the dickens out of it. Possibly clear the dropper with a fine needle. And then when dispensing, notice if it's hard to squeeze drops out, or suddenly becomes harder partway through. If so, you've got another clog, stop immediately and beat/shake it some more before continuing. If you still can't get a nitrate reading with a sample known to have nitrate, the test may be genuinely bad - which is rare, but I have seen it. (All the info I'm sharing with you came to me courtesy of a chemist working for a test kit manufacturer, in diagnosing why a brand new test didn't work. Learning so much made up for the inconvenience!)

Things like this are why some folks say tests are unreliable. And often discourage their use entirely, which is silly in my opinion. They work fine once you learn to deal with their quirks.

As for your personal nitrate level, I know PPS-Pro doesn't recommend any specific level, or even testing for levels; but rather a dosage the tank is found to respond best to, as determined experimentally. While I haven't used PPS-Pro, I would not expect this to result in a level of zero! If it's truly zero, your plants may still appear to be growing well, but not as well as they could. I'd say 3-5ppm is a practical minimum, and optimal may be higher. Once you've established that your test is working properly (or even without), you can try dosing some more nitrate, and see what happens. When working without tests, I usually try a 50% dosage increase for two weeks, that's typically enough to see whether there is a positive effect.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 the Nitrate test kit has given a fair number of people fits. The directions are a bit different and have to be followed very precisely or they give 0 readings. Especially the API test kits and they are what I usually recommend for folks. Try again with the vigorous shaking and let us know

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

It might be inaccurate. I would say that 0 nitrates is not good in planted tanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! Thanks for the tips!

I was always shaking the test tubes really hard, but did not know that I need to shake the test chemical bottle really hard before dropping them in.

It turned out that my nitrate level was around 5 ppm.

Thanks to all!!!

elfofelm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode