Dosing Iron???? Is 1ml to 40g too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Dosing Iron???? Is 1ml to 40g too much?

I have already done a search here. Too much iron isn't good. I have no correct means to measure the iron level. Am I dosing too much iron if I only add 1ml of it to a 40g tank with normal EI dosing? BTW, I mixed my iron solution in a 500ml of water and 2 table spoons of chelated iron. Other sources of iron are coming from my GH booster with Seachem equilibrium and the laterites in my dirt. I added a lot of laterites too. In the past, I used to dose iron 3x per week. Then, I stopped dosing iron for 2 weeks in order to see if my s repens would improve. Is hard to say since they are doing ok, not great, even they have been in my tank for over 2 months. They aren't thriving. I am thinking about adding iron back but with reduce dosage. Let says 1ml per each water change. I do 2 wc per week.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't think you are overdosing; if anything, you are underdosing iron.

You can search for the many calculators out there; they will help you determine what kind of dosing you require to reach the desired levels.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
I have already done a search here. Too much iron isn't good. I have no correct means to measure the iron level. Am I dosing too much iron if I only add 1ml of it to a 40g tank with normal EI dosing? BTW, I mixed my iron solution in a 500ml of water and 2 table spoons of chelated iron. Other sources of iron are coming from my GH booster with Seachem equilibrium and the laterites in my dirt. I added a lot of laterites too. In the past, I used to dose iron 3x per week. Then, I stopped dosing iron for 2 weeks in order to see if my s repens would improve. Is hard to say since they are doing ok, not great, even they have been in my tank for over 2 months. They aren't thriving. I am thinking about adding iron back but with reduce dosage. Let says 1ml per each water change. I do 2 wc per week.
Hi tetra73,

Based upon Rex Grigg's old formula it looks like the concentration of your solution is about 2/3 the strength he used to mix up.
Quote:
Chelated Iron
* Mix 35 grams of powder (about 3 tablespoons per my calculations) with 2 cups (473 ml of water).
* 1 ml of this solution will raise the iron level in 10 gallons of
water by 0.2 ppm.
* Suggested range for iron is 0.1-0.5 ppm
I dose Iron 1 ml per 10 gallons of the concentration he recommended in his mix. I find if I overdose Iron I have issues with Black Brush Algae (BBA). L. repens is relatively easy to grow. I didn't notice a source of macro nutrients listed, what are you using for nitrogen, phosphates, and potassium?

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi tetra73,

Based upon Rex Grigg's old formula it looks like the concentration of your solution is about 2/3 the strength he used to mix up.

I dose Iron 1 ml per 10 gallons of the concentration he recommended in his mix. I find if I overdose Iron I have issues with Black Brush Algae (BBA). L. repens is relatively easy to grow. I didn't notice a source of macro nutrients listed, what are you using for nitrogen, phosphates, and potassium?

Yeah, I used his method for all of my dry fert dosing. 2 table spoons of whatever ferts to 500ml of water. I mixed my own solutions using dry ferts.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I don't think you are overdosing; if anything, you are underdosing iron.

You can search for the many calculators out there; they will help you determine what kind of dosing you require to reach the desired levels.

That's good to know. I guess I should add 1ml of iron per each water change then. No, I am not experiencing or seeing any iron deficiency. I am not seeing any pale looking, transparent leaves.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode