ei dosing question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question ei dosing question

hey guys im dosing NPK + CSM+B ei dosing method.
im currently just scooping the amount needed and dumping into the tank. I was wondering what are other ways to dose? could I scoop the correct amount needed, pour in a cup and add aquarium water and shake and pour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The method you are using (dry dosing) is fine.

Other people prefer to mix it with a bit of aquarium water before dosing. This is fine too.

Alternatively, other people like to pre-mix a batch with distilled water and then dose as a liquid on a regular schedule. This method would also work well for those that want to use peristaltic pumps to automatically dose fertilizers.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im considering pre mixing into a liquid form. is there a link that ican follow for conversions on how to do it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Two ways that will work. Easiest is to just buy from this guy. Look under EI liquid ferts.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
The second method is known by someone on here who gave it to a person on a thread so they could use liquid instead of dry ferts. Hopefully they will read this and respond/w that suggested mixture again to you.
Mostly it's just putting the ferts that you use into jars which you get and adding RO water. One for each of the Micros and Macros. He then gave a number of those drops to be added and the PPM result that this amount of drops would result in.
BTW: I use dry for my Macros and just put the measured amounts into a table spoon(obviously use a larger spoon or other device for larger tanks having larger doses) and stir that into the open top of my filter. Till it runs out I have Flourish Comprehensive that I use for the Micros + use Pride for the iron.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 02-06-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: BTW:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

http://rota.la

plug and play..

but you might need a good and cheap scale to the 100th gram to make life easy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This gives one dose. He already has a one dose measurement.
What is needed is a multiple use dose formula which after adding X amount of say all the Macros plus 500ml of RO water = how many drops to use per dose.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oops, I must have misread. I thought he was just tired of dry dosing and wanted to try a liquid form. However, unless I misunderstand you too, the calculator could also give you the figures that you want -- albeit not as clearly but at least you can be self sufficient in your fiddling. There's a 'the result of my dose' selection in the 'I am calculating for' drop down box.

So for your 10G for example, if you plug in 10 tsp of KNO3 for a 500mL batch and attempting to dose 1mL of that solution...

it shows this result

Quote:
Your addition of 10.0 tsp/caps KNO3 to your 500.0 mL container, with doses of 1.0 mL to your 10.0 gal aquarium adds

Element ppm/degree
K 1.06
N 0.38
NO3 1.68
Given that the calculator assumes you want 7.5ppm for EI, now you know u have to add roughly 4.5 mL * 1.68ppm to get there... Got a 20G? The same bottle of solution ends up being:

Quote:
Your addition of 10.0 tsp/caps KNO3 to your 500.0 mL container, with doses of 1.0 mL to your 20.0 gal aquarium adds
Element ppm/degree
K 0.53
N 0.19
NO3 0.84
you have to add 9mL * 0.84ppm of your solution to achieve the same ~7.5ppm

too much liquid to play with? So, add 20tsp and make your concentration stronger..

Quote:
Your addition of 20.0 tsp/caps KNO3 to your 500.0 mL container, with doses of 1.0 mL to your 20.0 gal aquarium adds
Element ppm/degree
K 1.06
N 0.38
NO3 1.68
now you're back to adding 4.5mL for a 20G and half that for a 10G .. which I might add is close to NilocG's solution for 5mL per 20G

If you want to be exact .. keep playing with the numbers

Quote:
Your addition of 17.8 tsp/caps KNO3 to your 500.0 mL container, with doses of 1.0 mL to your 20.0 gal aquarium adds
Element ppm/degree
K 0.95
N 0.34
NO3 1.50
5mL * 1.50ppm = 7.5ppm

or am I oversimplifying something?

Last edited by ipkiss; 02-06-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wording change.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thats great. I didn't know it would work that way. Spot on for using a solution for a week and then mixing more. Or a month whatever. I only dose after the wqeekly water change but once I tried to mix the three nutrients in a small amount of water and even though I thought I'd mixed it completely, when I poured it there was some on the bottom of the container. Since I just put all of the three in a tablespoon and dump that into my filter and stir the spoon a bit to remove all from it.
But I'm fairly sure he was trying for something that would be used for a while so
thanks for that breakdown on the calculator. I may use it later after I finish the adjusting of my ferts as I just startedd the EI low light/weekly thing. Also need to get some plant growth to go/w it first.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yea, the thing is pretty nifty after I started poking around. Did you know about the other section? "The accumulation of fertilizers vs time and plant uptake?"

http://rota.la/ei/

You can fiddle with your ppms to guesstimate what happens over time.

and I thought I remember you asking about Glutaraldehyde in another thread..

http://rota.la/glut/

If you happen to buy yourself some metricide, you can handily make your own excel concotion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode