How long can bacteria substatin with lowered bio load - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long can bacteria substatin with lowered bio load

I had an unfortunate fertilizing overdose that took out a very large stock of tetras 3 large water changes later I'm debating what to restock with How long will my bacteria sustain itself with the current reduced load? Should I add fish in small batches or can I add a bunch at once?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Without question I'd add a few at a time just to be on the safe side. Throwing a bunch in at once could be a disaster since there's no way to really tell how much bacteria has died off if any. There's just no way to be sure. Better safe than sorry

~Sam

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay. Thanks. I'll do batches of 10 then

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Better safe than sorry, but if the accident just happened, within a few days, then the bacteria population may still be there. After that it will start dropping to match the ammonia levels.

You can also supplement the bacteria population with a bottled product containing Nitrospira. Do not waste money on other 'bacteria in a bottle' products.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

only issue is neons are the only cheap one locally.

If i want rummy or cardinals.. i have to order them and to make it worth while with shipping i mind as well get lots!

Do you know off hand which bacterias contain nitrospira? Would adding that do the trick for the first few days until it re-establishes itself?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
As long as you have a test kit, you can maintain your bacteria population using "fish-less cycle" techniques (do a search, you'll find plenty of info).

Basically, you just feed the bacteria with either ammonia or fish food until you get new fish. If you can feed the tank roughly the same amount that the fish you're planning to add would need, without experiencing spikes in your ammonia or nitrite levels, you're good to go.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I can does ammonia into the tank as long as it won't affect the current inhabitants

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Do you have any Idea how many ml to does in a 80g with a suspected load of about 50 tetras

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
don't dose any ammonia if you have occupants.

if your tank is empty, you can just perpetuate the established cycle by adding ammonia, but once you add fish (or shrimp, or any other critter), adding ammonia would be much more harmful then helpful.

I recently cycled a tank (10g), added a juvenile ram, and then waited a week before I added some other fish (clown killies, hasbrosus cories), and didn't notice any ammonia/nitrates. added a few more cories about a week later, and the same.

when I do cycle a tank, I fairly often skip a day or two here and there without any noticeable loss in ability to handle ammonia.

I'm guessing somewhere twixt a couple days to a week at a minimum, possibly longer.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How long can bacteria substatin with lowered bio load

Ideally I would stock it with 10 per week however I'm debating ordering about 50-60 tetras which would mean they all have to go in at the same time

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode