co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
co2 question

not sure where else to post this
i have the co2 tube feeding into my intake on the filter filter so the bubbles get diced up

im wondering if it makes a big difference if the spray bar (output ) is pointing down toward the substrate or if it can be pointing up to move the water on the surface w.o losing co2

I was told if the top water is moving it helps aerate the water without causing real surface disturbance

does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Increasing the surface movement will increase CO2 loss. However, it also can increase oxygen levels allowing for higher CO2 levels. CO2 is cheap. It's better to have a good surface ripple to oxygenate water and keep the surface scum broken up IMO.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Ras
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Increasing the surface movement will increase CO2 loss. However, it also can increase oxygen levels allowing for higher CO2 levels. CO2 is cheap. It's better to have a good surface ripple to oxygenate water and keep the surface scum broken up IMO.
hmmm
well the tank is very heavily planted and i havent had issues with surface algae
i was mainly worried about the fish not getting enough oxygen
this past 2 days is my first time ever running a tank without an airstone or a hob filter and it feels like every move the fish make i wanna chalk it up to low oxygen, give up and throw the airstone back in

just want to make sure im doing it right

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
At least you're watching your fish for changes! That's better than most people do when starting CO2 injection. Many fixate on a drop checker or PH change ignoring fish. You want a nice surface ripple without actually breaking the surface. Adjust CO2 SLOWLY. Give it a few days between small changes. When you see the behaviors changing you'll know. Then you can turn back the CO2 a notch.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode