API root tabs vs flourish tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
API root tabs vs flourish tabs

need your opinion on these two products. Forget about other root ferts for now, Just these two off the shelf root fertilizer available on most LFS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It depends on a few things actually. Main differences,

API, macro nutrients + Iron

Flourish, macro + trace but much less macros than API.

Basically, if you have sufficient nitrates/phosphates from feeding I would use Flourish otherwise API.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have and still use Flourish tabs and I like it. I just wanted to see if there's any difference using API root tabs with it having macros & iron So I picked one up today and my 1st impression is not great. 1st off API root tabs are way smaller than flourish tabs and are recommended to be added every month compared to 3 months for flourish tabs but what really turns me off was that it disintegrated in the water before I could stick it in the substrate dosing the water column with macro ferts and iron. I don't know if it's a bad or old batch but it's $10 wasted

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi iant,

API Root Tabs do not contain any macro nutrients. This is their description of their product:
Quote:
Without proper fertilization, aquarium plants gradually yellow, drop their leaves and die. Aquarium plants require essential nutrients for vibrant growth. APIŽ ROOT TABS are formulated to supply key nutrients, including iron and potassium and carbon, to help new aquatic plants get off to a vigorous start and to keep established plants flourishing. These nutrients are consumed over time in the aquarium and must be replenished for plants to thrive. Safe for use with tropical fish.
There is no mention of Nitrogen or Phosphates, just Potassium and Iron.

And here is the MSDS (OSHA Form 20) information on the product, the main ingredients are clay and carbon with 'additives'.

I strongly recommend Seachem Flourish Tabs as a much more balanced tab, it even helped me to grow Pogostemon helferi in a low tech, no CO2 tank.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi iant,

API Root Tabs do not contain any macro nutrients. This is their description of their product:

There is no mention of Nitrogen or Phosphates, just Potassium and Iron.

And here is the MSDS (OSHA Form 20) information on the product, the main ingredients are clay and carbon with 'additives'.

I strongly recommend Seachem Flourish Tabs as a much more balanced tab, it even helped me to grow Pogostemon helferi in a low tech, no CO2 tank.
Actually at the back of the packaging it says:

Guaranteed analysis 3-1-1
3% N
1% P2O5
1% KO2
5% Fe
Derived from Urea formaldehyde, Potassium nitrate, Monoammonium phosphate,ferrous sulfate

So i'm assuming from the label on the package it's macro + iron
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
+1
I had pretty bad luck with 5 boxes of API tabs: most of them were dust right there in the original 'bubbles' packaging.
You can also find Flourish tabs in 40 per box packaging, just a bit cheaper.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So since both have their reasons for being not up to par...how is ordering from a member here not suitable ?
Osmocoat+ is available from this link at half the price as any tab in a store.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode