Various algae taking over my tank, please help! "EI dosing & Co2" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Various algae taking over my tank, please help! "EI dosing & Co2"

Hi

So my new 200 litre tank was going fine these last 4-5 months, but these last couple of weeks I'm getting terrible growth, all types of algae. I feel like giving up with the plants Please read on and I hope someone can assist me.

I'm not a professional or anything but from what I have learnt they say CO2 CO2 CO2 to almost any algae crisis, and algae shouldn't be a issue to much. Its been a struggle to grow my carpeting plants as it is, and now there all ruined thanks to some brown dust, could be diatoms.

So here are some descriptions of the new algae I have been facing, brown dust, green dust, it was already annoying doing a w/c every week scrubbing green spot algae of the glass, I try to keep it real clean, and now not only is there more of that, I'm getting green dusty smudgy stuff, brown smudgy stuff, I had an outbreak of BBA on mostly my bog wood, I boiled and bleached my wood so that's that fixed for now. I also have green spot algae on old leafs, and some of my plants seemed to be yellowing, and getting large holes in the leafs.

The only thing I changed recently was I upped my co2 to try and get even more faster growth rates, but now it seems its all gone down hill, so not sure if its fluctuating, I don't think it is, but its so hard to count the bubbles, its at about 2.6bps.

Next I looked up plant deficiencies, straight away Phosphate deficiency stood out, and for the pin holes I upped the potassium. I have not seen any improvement, and on all diagrams on the internet, it does not mention green dust and brown dust, or diatoms, so I'm not sure what to change or add to fix this to help recover my plants, so I presume this is another problem rather than a deficiency.

I have upped my dosing on all nutrients, but now all my plants are effected with brown leafs, its taking over

The main algae is the brown leafs ^^, so how can I fix this? I'm thinking of taking all my carpeting plants out, as I got low light anyway and growth was never amazing, so its always been a struggle to get them thriving. I'm thinking of going down my lfs and purchase lots of fast growing stem plants instead. I don't know what to do no more, its so hard, especially when you have to choose low light plants =\

What's happening to my tank :O ? ? !

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some pictures and water parameters would be a huge help in diagnosing your problems.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey isu712,

Here are my water parameters, I also just realized this question might of been better in the algae thread, but hopefully you or someone can find the problem.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
PH 7.4
TDS 476
KH 12
GH 21

So everything there from my personal experience is fine, Nitrate for me has always been a issue, that's why I leave potassium nitrate out of my dosing, and use potassium sulphate for my potassium.

PH is about 8 from tap, so 7.4 from CO2.

KH and GH, is off the charts lol, can only presume from research I did when I got my new tank that its from my Eco Complete, + I live in a hard water area already, which is annoying as I would like to breed fish.... but this algae issue has only occurred recently so I don't think its due to that, but I'm no expert.

I have also took some pictures of the bad growth, so hope that helps someone diagnose the problem / algae:

Click image for larger version

Name:	close up 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	267417

Name:	Close up 1.1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	267425

Name:	Close up 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	267433

Name:	close up 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	267441

Name:	Close up 4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	267449

Name:	Close up 5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	267457

Name:	Close up 6.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	267465

It looks so bad :O all these plants where green and healthy about a month ago, I was trimming weekly, and now the whole tank seems to off crashed.

Hope this info helps.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you checked to see if CO2 tank is near empty? any leak's?
I am not at all expierienced with CO2 injection but..I might dial back the lighting for now, which would place less demand from plant's for CO2/nutrient supply until you can figure out the problem.
Is the light that drives demand for everything else in planted tank.
Might send PM to Plant Brain who is member here and well versed on CO2 and it's application.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey roadmaster thanks for the reply,

My lighting unit cant be raised, and if anything, I think my lighting is on the low scale which is annoying as I have to gamble with most plants and just see which one's work well... , It's took me months just to get my stauro repens to grow and spread, and now there all nearly destroyed, I don't think many people would even tempt carpeting plants in a Fluval roma tank and from I've read they soon upgraded there lights, I have 2x t8 bulbs, 30 watt each If I remember correctly.

Thanks hopefully Tom can help, as he has helped me in the past with some of my issues and questions... It's strange everything has been fine, and funny enough I purchased a new co2 fire extinguisher as the last one was running low, this time I said to my self, I'm going to crank my co2 up even more to see if it speeds up my growth rates, as like mentioned the carpeting plants were going slow, but doing well.

I'm not sure if my regulator cant handle the faster bps, and if its become unstable, but it seems to be stable around the 2.6bps.... I'm starting to think maybe its just the nano diffusers, sometimes they get blocked, then I bleach it clean, it works wonders, but its never a fine mist so maybe that's where it fluctuates. I've also changed the flow around the tank to try and help.

Some of the plants are still putting out healthy growth, it seems to be the old growth that's getting overwhelmed. I've also upped my EI dosing, which I premix to a 500ml bottle, I was dosing 28ml fine on my tank, I've now put it right back up to 40ml, and dosing 3/4 of potassium where it was 2/4.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very quick question, in the past months, did you happen to crank up the temperature of the tank by any chance? I had the same problem before but i figured that because i once had the temp at 84-86 to cure an angel fish. The sudden change in temp made my plants look bad immediately but back to that day, my system was not that stable anyway so one change effected the whole thing. It went down hill since then, i did not try to fix it but rescaped the entire tank. By the way, have you tried to remove the bad leaves/ tip off the new growth and replant those, as well as removing the old weaks?

Hi its Nam =D
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Tell me exactly which bulbs and how far are they from the sub.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

OP say's bulb's are two 30 watt T8's (maybe 32 watt's).?
I doubt the lighting is the problem unless light's are on longer than ten hour's per day.
Nor do I believe spectrum has much to do with anything.
I have 10,000 K,6700 K,8000K,6000K, bulb's over my tank's and plant's all perform well.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey

I have not changed the temperature at all, and regarding removing the infected growth I have not, this algae outbreak has took over my tank in just a few weeks. My normal routine is to do a 50% wc each Sunday, I clean filters, glass the best I can, and maybe take some cuttings and replant. I also then examine as many leafs as I can and remove any with algae or that don't look as healthy, the only algae I ever use to have was green spot algae on glass, and some leafs occasionally got green spot as-well, so I would remove these, and sometimes a green algae would grow on tips of leafs, a bit like BBA, but a green version.

But now my whole tank is infected, and its spreading more each day, I get all weird green and brown types of algae on my glass, which are quite smudgy, and now my plants are dusted in this brown diatom stuff.

Bulbs:
One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 30W 91.44cm (36in) T8

15 inches from substrate give or take.

I'm around the lowest mark on lighting so surely my tank shouldn't be in high demand for c02/nutrients? If anything more room for error?

Lights are on at 11 till 8, CO2 9 till 8.

Filters are 2x Fluval U4.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafooli View Post
Hey roadmaster thanks for the reply,

My lighting unit cant be raised, and if anything, I think my lighting is on the low scale which is annoying as I have to gamble with most plants and just see which one's work well... , It's took me months just to get my stauro repens to grow and spread, and now there all nearly destroyed, I don't think many people would even tempt carpeting plants in a Fluval roma tank and from I've read they soon upgraded there lights, I have 2x t8 bulbs, 30 watt each If I remember correctly.

Thanks hopefully Tom can help, as he has helped me in the past with some of my issues and questions... It's strange everything has been fine, and funny enough I purchased a new co2 fire extinguisher as the last one was running low, this time I said to my self, I'm going to crank my co2 up even more to see if it speeds up my growth rates, as like mentioned the carpeting plants were going slow, but doing well.

I'm not sure if my regulator cant handle the faster bps, and if its become unstable, but it seems to be stable around the 2.6bps.... I'm starting to think maybe its just the nano diffusers, sometimes they get blocked, then I bleach it clean, it works wonders, but its never a fine mist so maybe that's where it fluctuates. I've also changed the flow around the tank to try and help.

Some of the plants are still putting out healthy growth, it seems to be the old growth that's getting overwhelmed. I've also upped my EI dosing, which I premix to a 500ml bottle, I was dosing 28ml fine on my tank, I've now put it right back up to 40ml, and dosing 3/4 of potassium where it was 2/4.
Yes,,regulator issues,diffuser's,could be or (likely),, contributing to poor CO2 dispersion.Flow too can become an issue, so I might take to cleaning filter at more frequent interval's. (diffuser's too).
Would remove old growth leaves that are looking bad so nutrient's are not wasted on trying to repair them.
I would give this dosing a try for a while(few week's) for 200litre tank.
1/2 tsp KNO3
1/4 tspKH2PO4
1tsp MGSO4 or epsom salt Three times a week, With trace mineral's CSM+B on the alternate day's.
You would still be getting pottasium from the first two macro's and at rate more than plant's will need = no deficiencies.
This will also eliminate everything but the CO2 from contributing to problem with current lighting taken into consideration.
Would perform weekly water changes of 50% and redose as above.
Am thinking that sudden downturn that you mention is largely CO2 related given that plant's were performing well until just recent. As mentioned,check for leaks at all fitting's with dishsoap solution in small squirt bottle.
clean diffuser's,filter more regular.
May need to upgrade to better regulator??
Just running what I would do up the flagpole for your consideration.

Last edited by roadmaster; 01-31-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: additional input
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
CO2 and add more water changes(2x a week or more even) till things clear up, get all the organic fluff and such, clean the filters more often etc.

Focus on CO2, adjust SLOWLY up. Watch carefully, the fish, the behavior etc and also the new growth tips of the plants. Till you get new growth occurring, you will never beat the algae.

This is more about the plants, less about the algae.
If you focus on the plants and grow them well, then you do not get or have algae issues.

EI rules out Ferts, so that leaves light and CO2. Light does not seem that strong. So CO2..........just adjust slow and watch, do not adjust a lot and then leave for work all day etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jafooli, what's your substrate?

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey thanks for the replies everyone,

Yesterday I removed all the infected leafs, I've got my 50% w/c day tomorrow, so will do all my normal routine, I will also most likely clean filters again around mid week, and maybe do a 25% w/c as-well, if that will help things as mentioned by plantbrain, I presume this it to remove even more organic waste from the aquarium?

I will also keep a close eye on things and make sure to keep up on removing any debris etc, and most importantly concentrate on getting my plants growing rather then focusing on the algae issues, its annoying as I'm pretty sure everyone wants there plants to grow but when algae starts to appear, you can forgot about that, and then you focus on the algae lol. I know its always repeated on here that people say focus on the plant growth and co2 etc, but sometimes its quite hard, especially when your not very knowledgeable and experienced, but everything I have learnt has come from this site and Google, sometimes you need to be reminded lol so thank you.

Like I said all I have done recently was to adjust the CO2, so this has kind of taken over my tank all of a sudden which I didn't expect, there are also a couple of things I'm considering on trying which might help that bit more and that's to buy some some root tabs just to give my substrate some extra nutrients and to give a extra boost to some of my root feeders.

I also remove lots of water lettuce weekly, but I think I will let them multiple even more like I use to, the more healthy plants I can get growing hopefully the algae won't grow as quick and hopefully I can beat it, which also makes me think It might be a good idea if I go out and buy some more fast growing stem plants.

I'm not sure what I can do to save my stauro repens, most of the plants are covered in the brown stuff, I did rub quite a lot of with my thumb yesterday but I cant cut the leafs, as there would be hardly any plant, I will try and get some more flow around them, and see what happens?

I also remember doing a large trim on both of my echinodorus plants which were the largest plants in the tank, so maybe this has made room for the algae to start appearing? as they were two of my fast growers compared to some of my other plants.

Another question as-well to people who use nano diffusers, or anyone with experience, surely if the diffuser is releasing loads of tiny bubbles and some as tiny as a stream of mist, surely the co2 must fluctuate a little bit? as when I watch my diffuser its obvious each bubble is not the same size, surely there sizes vary through the day?

Some bubbles from the diffuser are so tiny, you can hardly see them, it literally is a fine mist, where as other bubbles are quite large, and other small etc....

I guess I need a diffuser like the GLA one:

But I think they cost a lot of money, + I'm from UK. I do use a Rhinox 5000 though which many people here do use:

Sorry for the essay, and also my substrate is Eco Complete.

Last edited by Jafooli; 02-01-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: x
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you clarify something. Can you describe how you clean your filter(s)including how often ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Raymond S.

I have 2x Fluval u4 filters, I just open the tops, remove the sponges, give them a soft rinse in a bucket of water I've already removed from the tank, I then put them back in, I leave all the biomax alone, as I don't want to kill all my beneficial bacteria. Maybe once a month I check on the biomax chamber and if its covered in dirt, I give the chamber a shake in the bucket.

I clean both my u4 sponges each week on Sunday, and tbh there not that bad.

I would prefer a external filter but I'm not the owner of the house, and leaks etc are a worry, even though its unheard off lol, it would help as I could then have inline co2.

Hope that helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode