Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about pH

I have a new 60 g Tank that I just dirted 2 weeks ago. The plants i Have are:
  • Tall Sag
  • Different types of swords
  • Rotala
  • Jungle Val
I have 3 medium size pieces of driftwood. I used organic soil with pea gravel and river rocks on top. I'm using a canister filter which has an old filter in it from another tank to help build up bacteria. I also have two air stones running.

My issue is my pH. My tap water runs at 8. I did a 50% water change. The next day I checked my pH and it read the highest my chart would go which is 8.8. The only thing I have added to the water is Sodium Thiosulfate to dechlorinate the water. I checked it two days later and the pH is 8.2.

I have another tank that is not planted and the pH in that runs consistently at 8.2. I was using distilled water to keep the pH down until I dirted my 60g. My fish (mainly Rainbow Fish) seem to be doing fine in this pH.

My question is, should I be worried about my pH being so high? If so, what can I do to keep it down? I read that you shouldn't be worried about pH as much as you should be concerned about pH shifts. Is this true?

My new disted tank will be mainly housing Rainbow Fish as well. From what I read they like a more neutral pH. Any ideas out there?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Huh, kinda odd.

Typically pH will start to drop a bit, especially if you have wood in the tank. Perhaps some of the rocks or pea gravel have carbonates?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
The 8.8 reading is odd. Don't really have an answer for you on that. But on your other question, yes, stability is FAR more important than the actual pH for the vast majority of the fish (there are some exceptions that can't handle it, but even then it's typically more that they can't handle the hardness that usually accompanies a high pH). Mine runs 8.2 both out of the tap and in the tank (with a kH of near 20) and the only fish I can say universally could not adapt and do well in my tanks were cardinals. Everything else (rams, angels, cories, plecos, neons, lemons, diamonds, guppies, swords, etc.) has acclimated and done very well. But (thanks to that kH), my pH doesn't BUDGE no matter frequent/infrequent my water changes are, no matter how large the water changes are, no matter how much driftwood is in the tanks... You get the point

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I've realized from my other tank that if you can't change it from the source than it is going to be a nightmare to try and keep the pH down. I just hope my rainbows and my plants won't be affected.

Kevin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've got several of the blue-eyed rainbows (celebes, furcatas, and gertrudes) as well as dwarf neon and irian bows in my 8.2 pH, high kH water - all have been there for some time and are doing well. I've also got all of the plants you listed in the first post an they're fine. There have been a couple of plants that were very distinctly listed as soft water plants that I tried anyway and failed with, but haven't' had a problem with anything else.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks that helps a lot.

Kevin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode