Purigen Vs Tannin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen Vs Tannin

I've been trying to lower the pH of my Chili Rasbora tank, the natural way, with driftwood. I use SeaChem Perigen because I love the water crystal clear. I just realizing that these two things might be at odds. In fact have the carbon might be hurting my efforts to lower the pH. I've gone ahead and unplugged the HOB, to give the tannin time to build up again (assuming the driftwood contains any - it was boiled).

Does anyone have experience to share with tannin (driftwood) and Purigen (and carbon)?

The HOB filter -- AquaClear 50, with AC20 impeller, a Edge Pre-filter sponge on the intake tube and equipped with only carbon and 100mg packet of SeaChem Purigen. The tank is handling the cycling duties (with a low fish load I don't see a problem with that). I'll be testing daily to watch the pH (and other levels). I might go with a sponge filter is pH drops.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Purigen WILL remove the tannins from the water if that's what you're asking. Do you want stained water or do you want it crystal clear?

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Purigen WILL remove the tannins from the water if that's what you're asking. Do you want stained water or do you want it crystal clear?
I want lower pH, if that means tinted water, I'm ok with that. Maybe I can run the filter 12 hours before I take pictures and then turn it off again...

I'll switch to sponge filter...

Mahalo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Co2 will lower your pH and so will doing water changes with RO water. If you really want to lower the pH and stain the water at the same time, add some peat to your filter. The purigen will remove most of the stain but the acidity will remain. This will bring your pH down. Or just remove the purigen. Up to you

~Sam

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Co2 will lower your pH and so will doing water changes with RO water. If you really want to lower the pH and stain the water at the same time, add some peat to your filter. The purigen will remove most of the stain but the acidity will remain. This will bring your pH down. Or just remove the purigen. Up to you
I checked on the peat we have at the nursery and it contains a whole host of stuff I don't want in my water, including a pH stabilizer. I might go check out the local garden stores and see what's there. RO is out as I'm here at work - though maybe I could claim its for the drinking water...

I'm not using CO2, the plants are about the overrun the whole tank without it...

hmmm...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post
I checked on the peat we have at the nursery and it contains a whole host of stuff I don't want in my water, including a pH stabilizer. I might go check out the local garden stores and see what's there. RO is out as I'm here at work - though maybe I could claim its for the drinking water...

I'm not using CO2, the plants are about the overrun the whole tank without it...

hmmm...
I use the Eheim brand peat pellets in my 10g blackwater tank. They work great. They're aquarium safe and don't break down easily. Just put them in the little mesh bag that comes with them. I think you can find them on amazon if your LFS doesn't stock them

~Sam

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I use the Eheim brand peat pellets in my 10g blackwater tank. They work great. They're aquarium safe and don't break down easily. Just put them in the little mesh bag that comes with them. I think you can find them on amazon if your LFS doesn't stock them
I found Fluval branded peat at Amazon. I'll order it after I check my water in the morning. I want to see if pulling the Purigen, has helped.

Last edited by King of Hyrule; 01-28-2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: updated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Algae Grower

Not to hijack this thread, but I could use some clarificationon on this. Are the tannins what lower the pH or is it the driftwood itself? If it is the release of tannins will the driftwood only lower the pH while it is still actively releasing them?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbaff View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I could use some clarificationon on this. Are the tannins what lower the pH or is it the driftwood itself? If it is the release of tannins will the driftwood only lower the pH while it is still actively releasing them?
Woods can contain tannic acid which help protect the tree from bacterial and pest invasions. The tannins are acidic which lowers the PH. When the tannic acid runs out the PH will return to normal.

So to answer your question tannins are what lowers PH and yes it can run out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bananas

My water is still reading a pH of about 6.8 (same as yesterday). I have to get one of the wildlife biologists in here with their fancy hardware to confirm my readings. I have a feeling that the driftwood isn't producing tannin in larger enough amounts to effect the water.

I've read that leaf little could produce similar effects as driftwood (soften the water while reducing the pH). I work in forest reserve and have some banana trees around. I've grabbed a hand full of old leaves off of the closest trees. I have them drying now. I'll a drop little bit of the leaves in the tank, to see if it works in place of peat. I have a near endless supply of banana leaves. If the banana leaves work, I have no cost solution.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode