Question about Seachem prime. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about Seachem prime.

I just purchased this produce and I'm not sure how to properly use it. Do I add untreated tapwater to my tank and then treat the entire tank, or can I treat each gallon I am going to add to the tank like you would normally do with a dechlorinator?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Treat the water before you dump it in your tank. I certainly would not want untreated water in my tank.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Treat the water before you dump it in your tank. I certainly would not want untreated water in my tank.
I feel uncomfortable adding untreated water period, even if I add the prime first to the tank; though if it's ok to do I suppose that's what I'll have to do. Trying to measure out 1 gallon doses would be very hard since it's .1 ML

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

How big is your tank? Just add a capful or two. Don't worry about being so precise. Stuff is pretty much harmless unless you're dumping the whole bottle in lol

~Sam

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depends. If you have a python like system that adds aerated water then you remove the old water, add the nee water to thr tsnk, and then add prime. I've done it like this for months, even on my rcs tank. It works fine.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a 6 gallon Fluval Edge so it's not much in terms of gallons. Seachem only says 1ml for 10 gals (Cap full is 5 ml) I have Nutrafin Aqua plus and to treat 10 gallons it is a cap full.

I did a water change yesterday and added .5ml to each gallon I added (Added 2 gallons)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

For that small amount I'd just do water changes by putting them in a 5 gal bucket and dumping the water. Then use the same bucket and fill it up with tap water or whatever you use. Treat the water in the bucket than dump into tank. If your tank was bigger than you'd prob have to look for other options. But the bucket method has worked for me for years and caused zero problems.

~Sam

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Seachem used to label its bottles with the amount for 1g doses and include a drop cap. I'm sure someone figured out it made for better profits if folks found it difficult to dispense small amounts and thus used more product than needed and changed their labels and caps to encourage the overuse. It's not toxic until you way overdose, so the customer buys more often.

Happily, I still have one of the tiny old bottles around. Rather than haul out the big bottle every time, I refill the small one (with the drop cap) and keep it out of the way on the frig next to the sink. Measurement for 1g is 2 drops.
If you can't find a drop cap that fits your bottle, you can use an eye dropper. If you're worried about the size of the drops, you can just use 3 to be sure, but I've measured with the drop cap, a pipette and an infant's ear/nose bulb and found the drops to be close enough in size to not matter. For that matter, there's a time or two I've dropped the cap in the sink and just done drops off my fingertip.

VERY convenient for filling gallon jugs--line 'em up, add two drop, fill with water.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Seachem used to label its bottles with the amount for 1g doses and include a drop cap. I'm sure someone figured out it made for better profits if folks found it difficult to dispense small amounts and thus used more product than needed and changed their labels and caps to encourage the overuse. It's not toxic until you way overdose, so the customer buys more often.

Happily, I still have one of the tiny old bottles around. Rather than haul out the big bottle every time, I refill the small one (with the drop cap) and keep it out of the way on the frig next to the sink. Measurement for 1g is 2 drops.
If you can't find a drop cap that fits your bottle, you can use an eye dropper. If you're worried about the size of the drops, you can just use 3 to be sure, but I've measured with the drop cap, a pipette and an infant's ear/nose bulb and found the drops to be close enough in size to not matter. For that matter, there's a time or two I've dropped the cap in the sink and just done drops off my fingertip.

VERY convenient for filling gallon jugs--line 'em up, add two drop, fill with water.

I do have one of those medicine droppers but you sure 2-3 drops of prime per gallon is enough?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Algae Grower

I dose my water with a syringe.
Works out at 3 drops of the syringe per watering can (about 12L in my can that I use for WC). Have done this for year and makes even a small bottle of Prime last forever! I have a 200L tank.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
+1 what knotyoureality said "Measurement for 1g is 2 drops. "
I've performed this ritual for years

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you ask around a bit you can find plastic pipettes with ml indicators on the side. I have a gazillion of them. If you PM me your address I can mail you one tommorrow. Another place to try would be a drug store. Some of the higher end test kits come with plastic syringes, so that's something you can ask around about. If you have a regular LFS, they may have a stash of their own.

I have 22 tanks, and I pre-treat with Seachem Safe (powdered Prime) by letting a dedicated powerhead mix it in a tub I use for water changes. I just let it mix for about 10-15 minutes and use it. That's just the way I do it, and it works for me. You could easily achieve much the same with a small bucket, mixing Prime and tap water prior to doing your water change.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yes.. the smallest prime bottle directions state 2 drops per gallon...

When doing wc to discus tanks.. have done both.. fill up.. then treat entire volume.. or add prime for entire tank volume then fill up...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome guys, this makes things a little simpler for me. I do have a little measurement syringe but counting the drops seems to be a better solution for this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Ps. I buy smallest prime bottle.. cuz it has cap with dropper.. then when empty.. buy larger bottle and then put drop cap from little bottle..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode