Is it safe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is it safe?

I just started up my nano and don't have anything to remove the chlorine ect from the water so I wanted to know if it wouold be safe to use the water in my dehumidifer. I just looked at it and the thing is ancient. It was extremely dusty annd dirys. I tried to clean the coils on it as best as I could but it is still filthy. So this is what I think I am going to do. I will take the water the it sucks out of the air and run it through a clean rag to get any dirt ect. that might be in it out. Then I will boil it to disenfect it, run it through rag again then boil it once more. How does this sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I wouldn't.

Just buy dechlorinator. You're going to need it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I plan on getting a dechlorinator but I need some way to get water until then. Edited post with new method.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your water only contains chlorine and not chloramines, just leave it out overnight. The chlorine will offgas. But this won't work for chloramines. The dehumidifier thing should work, except for trying to get it filtered clean again. If you can come up with a way of filtering it well enough, it should work ok. Try coffee filters or paper towels as filters.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Well I planned on using two clean cloth rags to filter it. The water looks pretty clean to start with, just filtering to make sure. Then of course boiling, cooling, filtering again and boiling again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 AM

I think coffee filters will remove much smaller particles than rags can, if you want to make extra sure.

The only issue that I just thought of, is the presence of heavy metals. Check out your dehumidifier and see what kind of pipes it uses to condensate the water and be aware that you might get some of that metal in the water.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Well it looks like copper. Anything I can do to get rid of those and do they pose much of a threat. I was going to use a cofee filter but running a gallon through that seems like it would take a while.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I'm really scratching my head at this thread, how much volume can a dehumidifier fill? You'd probably be better off taking water from a pond if you can't afford a small bottle of dechlor.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

It's a nano that I need water for. So I really only need a gallon.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Dehumidifiers have copper coils to do the condensing. Copper can be toxic to animals (more so with inverts than fish), and very difficult to remove.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Copper in higher levels is also an effective herbicide. So not good for plants either. If you're going planted I would skip the dehumidifier thing.

You could distill your own water but it would take a LOONGGG time to make a gallon.

Get a huge bucket of water and put some plastic wrap over it, airtight but with lots of slack. Put an empty bucket or something smaller than the big bucket to catch the water in the very center of the water in the bin (without getting any water in it, put some rocks in it to weigh it down). Put it in the sun. The water will evaporate and collect on the plastic wrap, if it's loose enough it will roll to the middle and drip off into the empty container in the middle.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
After you find a way to purify water, where are you going to find the money to reconstitute it? Ask the LFS for a dechlor sample, they'll probably give you one.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

why cant you get declorinator?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode