another question, from another noob - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question another question, from another noob

man this whole water chemistry thing is confusing.

ok, so ive seen pictures of other people's tanks during the cycle. and it seems like the water is clear when they put it in, and then gets foggy, and then clears up again when the cycle is complete. is this right?

my water was foggy as hell from the minute i put it in the tank. i havent tested the hardness because i dont have a test kit for it, but i do know that my area has some pretty damn hard tap water. could this be why? should i pay 33 cents per gallon and buy my water at one of those water machines at the supermaret? it would only come to $18.15. would that be a good idea?

-Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
what kind of substrate are you using? Might be the particle from that floating around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Change your water and try to add new water to see what happens

One month in.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
ok, so ive seen pictures of other people's tanks during the cycle. and it seems like the water is clear when they put it in, and then gets foggy, and then clears up again when the cycle is complete. is this right?

should i pay 33 cents per gallon and buy my water at one of those water machines at the supermaret? it would only come to $18.15. would that be a good idea?
It got cloudy when you put what in? Sometimes a bacterial bloom during the cycle will cause cloudy water.

As far as buying water, do you plan to do water changes? If so, that would get pretty expensive, very fast

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
oh, you just meant the water. I thought you were adding some sort of Cycle product...sorry

Mike

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

well the dust from my substrate settled and there was this white fogginess swirling around. so i changed the water being carefull not to stir up the dust again, and it was white and foggy strait from the tap. anyone know whats going on?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

get some water from the tap and put it in a Cup is it foggy?

Do you have filters on? Give us pictures dude

One month in.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

this is what the water looked like strait from the tap, AFTER a water change.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you using Eco Complete?. Like i said Again Put water in a cup and see if its Cloudy. Is it your tank or Your water

One month in.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

its definately the water, the water is cloudy in a cup too

and its not eco complete. it aquariumplants.com's own
they make it and use it themselves, its very cheap and they garantee success when you use their fertalizer tabs too
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 AM

I'm not sure what it is. At first I thought maybe dissolved gas bubbles, sometimes my water is really full of tiny bubbles that look like that. But it usually clears off pretty quickly. I would guess, though, that after being filtered for a while it will clear up on it's own. Maybe try aging your tap water a few days before adding it and see what happens to it. Or maybe try running the water a while before using it, see if that makes a difference. Hardness, in and of itself, won't cause the water to be cloudy. But I guess there could be some chemical reaction going on or something.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

IM Sure Aquariumplants. DOnt make their Own substrate.. Such a little Company, Does not do its Own Mining.
Cheap yes but you can get Cheaper.
"Garantee Success When you use Their fertilizer tab With their Substrate"
No comment........

One month in.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Thank you frozenbarb. The very points I was going to make.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
this is what the water looked like strait from the tap, AFTER a water change.

It seems like something definitely in your water. What dechlorinator are you using? You can get a spare bucket and let the water sit a few days to see if the cloudiness disappears. You may have to use "stale" water that you let sit for 24 hours before adding to the aquarium to prevent the cloudiness.

A "quickfix" is Seachem Clarity. It will not harm plants or fish and I have successfully used it in the past to get rid of annoying cloudiness when all else has failed and I did not find that it altered my water parameters when I tested the water after adding it.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Clarity.html

FAQ about Clarity
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Clarity_faq.html
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

so i put this stuff called crystal clear from aquarium products in the tank, and what a difference it made! its still a little foggy, but no where near as much. im going to go get some drift woods, and plants from my LFS today. they sell wood with plants already growing on it for about $20.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode