CO2 Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2 Questions

I have the Red Sea Pro system which came w/ everything needed to set up CO2 except the tank.

We've had it running for 2 days now.

There was a drop checker that came w/ the system and indicator liquid. The bottle is just labled "indicator liquid", not 4dKH or anything else. Also, the instructions said to use 1mL of tank water, not distilled. The instructions also say that optimum CO2 levels willl be 15-20 ppm, I thought that we were shooting for 30ppm... ??

Yesterday I had a hard time getting the liquid to turn the "right" color but after a few hours it did, and the plants started pearling and were "happy". Fish seemed happy too, everyone was swimming around and making friends. This afternoon, the drop checker reads as if there was still the same amt. of CO2 in the water as there was last night, even though the CO2 system turned off last night around 2 AM. My fish are still happy and healthy, not gasping for air or hanging out by the filter flow. Is this normal to not outgas CO2 at night??

I want to get as much CO2 in the tank as possible to allow for optimum plant growth without hurting my inhabitants.

Any suggestions? Should I just trust the DC and fish behavior? Turn the CO2 up a little bit when it comes on and see how the fish react? Just leave it alone....????

I tried reading Ph and Kh but I only have a strip reader for Kh and it's not too accurate I'm assuming, because I have an actual Ph kit and it differs from the strip's reading for Ph by about .3, and with the numbers I got for Kh and Ph according to the chart my fish should have all been dead or gasping for air and they certainly were NOT doing that. I tried to buy a Kh kit last night but the Petsmart closest to home didn't have one in stock.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Wash out the drop checker. Get real 4dKh solution and use that.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
the instructions said to use 1mL of tank water, not distilled
This is whats causing the inconsistency you are experiencing. I suggest you get a bottle from here or reach out to blacksunshine for a liquid only purchase here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Sounds like your indicator liquid is just Bromothymol blue or some other indicator that should be mixed with with a standardized KH solution, not aquarium water.

Does the bottle it comes in have a tip that can be used to count drops?

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

The bottle has a tip on it that counts drops.
The instructions w/ the setup say to put 1mL of aquarium water in the checker and 2 drops of "Indicator Reagent", then to place it 4" below the surface of the water away from CO2 injection equipment.

I called Red Sea today to see exactlyl what the indicator reagent is. I am suspecting it is 4dKh, but not sure, because it DOES turn the right color, it just takes a loooong time to do so. And it didn't turn overnight, but I've heard of others having that problem w/the drop checkers for sale on here too... However, nobody at Red Sea knew exactly what was in the bottle. (weird that they would sell a product and not know what it was, right?) I was given the ph # of a guy who works for them as a distributor who supposedly would know, but he hasn't called me back yet.

Do you think I should get some distilled water and try that with the reagent to see if it will change quicker/ be more accurate?

I'm going to try to go to a different LFS and see if I can get a Kh test kit and try to use the chart in addition to the drop checker.

Does anyone know if blacksunshine does liquid only purchases and how much they are? I looked through that thread and didn't see that info...

Thanks all!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I have 2 of these Red Sea CO2 indicators.

As tazcrash69 mentioned, the indicator fluid used in the Red Sea CO2 indicator is just Bromothymol Blue. You need to get or make the 4 dKH known carbonate based solution suggested by epicfish and mrkookm for it to work properly. Don't use aquarium water or distilled water in it. You will get false results if you do.

I used billionzz's instructions and made my own dKH solution. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ndard-how.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, LeftC, for positively clearing that up for me.

I contacted Blacksunshine about procuring some of his liquid to use, I am not so certain of my abilities to make my own 4dKh solution. I only got a B+ in chemistry...

When I get the 4dKh, that's the only thing I put in the drop checker, right??
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennysPlanties View Post
Thanks, LeftC, for positively clearing that up for me.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I contacted Blacksunshine about procuring some of his liquid to use, I am not so certain of my abilities to make my own 4dKh solution. I only got a B+ in chemistry...

When I get the 4dKh, that's the only thing I put in the drop checker, right??
I believe that's right. Blacksunshine's solution contains the indicator fluid mixed with the 4 dKH solution as far as I know. If it's blue when you get it; that means it has the indicator fluid already in it.

If you made your own using billionzz's instructions or you purchased billionzz's 4 dKH solution; you would add the 4 dKH solution as well as the indicator fluid.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Solutions for drop Checker...

I Use This in my dropchecker.

3 to 4 drops in 4 dkh water, work for months...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Banned

JennysPlanties doesn't need a pH test kit to get the Bromothymol Blue indicator fluid.

The Red Sea CO2 Indicators come with the Bromothymol Blue indicator fluid. All she needs is the 4 dKH solution to make it work properly. She can also use Blacksunshine's solution that contains both the 4 dKH solution and the indicator fluid.

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 AM

By the way, you won't lose a lot of co2 at night, when the lights are off. You will outgas some, but the plants aren't using it up like they are during the day. I think a lot of people have the co2 turn on about an hour before the lights to build up to good levels by the time the lights come on again.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

I am awaiting my shipment from blacksunshine. It was much easier than trying to create my own 4dKh soulution.

I have an airbar that I've been putting on at night to help my fish stay happy. I have my CO2 system coming on (and the airbar going off) 1 hour before my lights to build the CO2 back up into the water.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 PM

PH kit

I just post the products because itís a lot cheaper that the replacement from
Sera or Red Sea
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glouglou View Post
I just post the products because itís a lot cheaper that the replacement from Sera or Red Sea
Hi Glouglou

This may help some.

That Nutrafin pH test kit that you linked is not cheaper than the Red Sea refill.

These prices are from Big Al's. The pH test kit that you linked is $3.20 more expensive than the Red Sea refill, but the refill for the pH test kit is $1.10 cheaper than the Red Sea refill. Here's the links:

NutraFin Test Kit pH Low Range (6.0-7.6) Our Price: $7.09: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...phlowrange6076

Red Sea CO2 Indicator Refill-10 ml Our Price: $3.89: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...atorrefill10ml

NutraFin Test pH Low Range Refill Reagent Our Price: $2.79: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...erefillreagent

You can even use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Mini pH Kit Our Price: $3.29: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...waterminiphkit

I don't know the price of the Sera refill though.

Take care.
Left C

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
...I am not so certain of my abilities to make my own 4dKh solution...
That is exactly how I felt and I muddled my way through making it using a measuring cup instead of graduated cylinder and scale that I already had for measuring dry ferts.

I tested my solution out with PH reagant side by side against BlackSunshine's premixed solution and mine worked just as well.

What have you got to lose? Distilled water and baking soda are pretty cheap and will last you a life time. Even with having to buy the PH reagant, it still is not that expensive, considering you only need to change the drop checker solution every month or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode